Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by benp1 »

Borderer - I find the wood burners have a broader flame so work better with ti pots than gas, which is usually fairly narrow (even the relatively broad ones)

I have quite a few wood stoves, incl wood gasification. I find them to provide a bigger heating area but more faff that gas. However they're also quite fun. My favourite is the Emberlit UL. If I did more bikepacking in wooded areas I would probably bring this with me, it's also a nice way of being able to have a little fire without leaving a fire scar
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thats basically my cooking stuff bar a mug (which was a plastic travel one from GO which I dahsed away after it starying to taste horrible and last time I just took a mug from home).
If you're going to take an additional mug, consider something double walled. DO NOT put it on a stove but it will keep your brew hot for a good while.

Like this one for a fiver - https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPFMFMP30 ... travel-mug
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the Ti cookware towards the bottom of the page certainly seems cheap.
no weights quoted but it does seem as cheap as the tomshoo stuff.
Has anyone tried it /know real world weights ?
I would e-mail them but you know its Planet x so why bother ditto buying it and just returning it if its gash /heavy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone tried it /know real world weights ?
Only came in stock today as far as I know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

benp1 wrote:Borderer - I find the wood burners have a broader flame so work better with ti pots than gas, which is usually fairly narrow (even the relatively broad ones)
I have one of Stu's 22g meths stoves that it gets used on sometimes too. I tried leaving the frying pan at home but I really missed it. If all you are doing is heating water then obviously you don't need one, but for long trips where we need to be able to cook proper food it makes a massive difference. Frying something in the bottom of a mug doesn't work - it sticks and is hellish to clean after.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just got the 600ml pot with 250ml cup. Let hope they fit into each other nicely with room for the stove in the cup...

Thanks for the reccomendation Stu
Andybev

Post by Andybev »

Good deal alert on sleeping bags
https://www.tauntonleisure.com/camping/ ... -bags.html

I just paid £75.60 for a Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Spark sleeping bag which is a bloody good price :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Lowe Alpine Aeon 27 rucksack in L/XL currently on sale here - https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Lowe-Alpi ... =Greystone

Currently my favourite daypack, really rate it, I have over 20 packs. Has been used on the bike and on foot, always comfy
psling

Post by psling »

End of season Montane down deals at Trekkitt:

Featherlite Down Pull On £120 https://www.trekitt.co.uk/35982/product ... 00c506369c
North Star Lite Jacket £130 https://www.trekitt.co.uk/37833/product ... 00c506369c
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

There’s a guy in Warminster selling an 2017 XL Surly Wednesday Frameset for £150 on Facebook. Looks legit.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I hate this thread - it costs me a fortune :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Teetosugars wrote:Half price Mountain Hardwear Doss Bags.
Again.

https://rockrun.com/collections/mountai ... f7feec9489
I bought a couple of the phantom flames for Joe and I. I'm really pleased with them. They are only 100g heavier than our old bags, but with an extra 170g of down. It's also hydrophobic which should help, especially in Scotland. This allowed us to leave our down blankets behind, which made a big difference.

When I unpacked them and saw the stuff sack they came with I thought I would never use it as it was bound to be heavy, but I was surprised to find that it isn't at all. It also does a grand job of packing the bag down so it fits easily into a 13l front bag.
The bags were very toasty - too much so on one night, but as a cold sleeper this is the way I like it.

The full-length zip also works well to allow it to be used as a blanket if you get too warm.

Best of all I sold our old bags on eBay for twice what I paid for them two years ago, which went a long way to off-set the cost. :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same as borderer ,wife bought me a flame for Christmas used it on the winter event and was a little too toasty , not used it since as Feb was back to using my 250quilt ,but it's good to know it's there if we have a cold winter later in the year
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote:Same as borderer ,wife bought me a flame for Christmas used it on the winter event and was a little too toasty , not used it since as Feb was back to using my 250quilt ,but it's good to know it's there if we have a cold winter later in the year
So the ME flame is the one to go for on a budget and wanting to continue (gonna start this month hopefully) the BAM2019 through winter??? Or is there a lighter option without much extra cost...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Have a look at a cumulus 350 quilt slightly more expensive but that is what I was going to go for before the wife bought me this , I don't think there's much weight difference to be honest ,like I said it will probably only get used at the most 3 times a year as the 250 quilt is good down to around zero
Edit ,just looked there's 300g difference between the bag and quilt but also 5degrees difference ,if your not planning on going out when it's any less than -4 then get the quilt 215 euros from cumulus or backcountry Scot usually stock them
redefined_cycles

To all those that have managed to resist the urge of the recent 'BB Rock&Run MH Gt Sleeping Bag Splurge'....

I'm sorry... Hyperlamina Spark £9 cheaper here...

https://www.tiso.com/tiso-moha-1125926/ ... ha-1125926

:-bd :grin: ... like I said. Am sorry and I too couldnt resist (some wage came in today and missus gonna kill me)
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I haven't bought from tiso since they started that card holder crap. It really annoys me.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote:I haven't bought from tiso since they started that card holder crap. It really annoys me.
Card holder crap?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Eurosport online for 1/2 price.

Just in time for the classics
https://promo-gb.eurosportplayer.com/pr ... OWEALw_wcB
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Borderer wrote:I haven't bought from tiso since they started that card holder crap. It really annoys me.
Card holder crap?
You need to sign up for a card and pay an annual subscription for it, otherwise you pay more. That's why there are two prices. They brought it in to copy Go Outdoors a few years ago. I don't shop there for the same reason either! Just tell me the bloody price and be done with it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
Card holder crap?
You need to sign up for a card and pay an annual subscription for it, otherwise you pay more. That's why there are two prices. They brought it in to copy Go Outdoors a few years ago. I don't shop there for the same reason either! Just tell me the bloody price and be done with it.
I'm pretty sure Tiso has done away with loyalty cards and the like. I've certainly never been asked for anything.
Mart

Post by Mart »

For someone with deep pockets - on eBay
Ti Fargo frame and fire starter fork size large

Item 143162666466
2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sonder transmitter frame down to £149

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/son ... me-only-v1
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Mart wrote:For someone with deep pockets - on eBay
Ti Fargo frame and fire starter fork size large

Item 143162666466
I saw that. It's unclear whether the forks are actually being sold. The way I read it, he's bought the frameset for £2500, sold the £400 fork and now wants to sell the frame for £1850, but not really, because he might keep it and build it up. Riiiiiight...

Would have been better just posting a picture on here and saying "look at this nice frame I have!"