Bargain Alert Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pat

Re: Bargain Alert Thread

Post by Pat »

I was watching that too, in the vain hope of a bargain! Pretty much a dream build but I'm sure it's been listed before. Do a Google search on the images to see if they show up anywhere else. I would do it myself, except I am a Luddite, and although I've heard the youngsters talking about doing it, I don't know how :-bd
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Seller has replied - it's an 18 so too small for me ! That'll save an awkward discussion with my wife!!!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Stevemorg wrote:Seller has replied - it's an 18 so too small for me ! That'll save an awkward discussion with my wife!!!
Alarm bells are still ringing for me. The Warbird is sized as a road bike and not a mountain bike. Does the seller know what they're selling?
Mart

Post by Mart »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Stevemorg wrote: Does the seller know what they're selling?
Given the quality parts that are on the bike - e.g. enve fork and rims and the lack of description then I very much doubt it

Looking into his feedback - ebay shows he has been silent/dormant for over a year. Old Feedback comments show he has sold stuff but then not sent the item (twice) and just doesn't reply to any messages
2924 miles per Gallon
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

He's replied to me - says he's 6ft 2 and rides an 18 - I'm curious - it might fit me, it's only a few miles away and looks like a bargain ... But..................
cloudnine

Post by cloudnine »

Ask for frame number and check out if its reported stolen
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Stevemorg wrote:He's replied to me - says he's 6ft 2 and rides an 18 - I'm curious - it might fit me, it's only a few miles away and looks like a bargain ... But..................
Me too, asked me straight away what I'd offer him for it. Spidey sense is tingling.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Stevemorg wrote:He's replied to me - says he's 6ft 2 and rides an 18 - I'm curious - it might fit me, it's only a few miles away and looks like a bargain ... But..................
Told me it was 17.5 . Stinks of kippers. I don't want to risk knock-off even if it is cheap.
Never knowingly under biked...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aye, all sounding pretty dubious. Sorry for linking it, wouldn't want anyone to get ripped off. :|
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mart wrote:Old Feedback comments show he has sold stuff but then not sent the item (twice) and just doesn't reply to any messages
Meant to put 'doesn't reply to people who have won auctions'

Feedback shows 2 people have won auctions but didn't get goods or any further communication from the seller, once he had their money
They ended up raising issue/dispute through Flea bay and getting money repaid that way
Buyer beware!
2924 miles per Gallon
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I asked him if I could collect rather than have it posted
He asked me if I could get to South Wales...
Then agreed I could
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It might be legit. I have met people with very expensive bikes who knew nothing about the spec etc. and the LBS just sorts it all for them. Some people have plenty of money and to be fair to them if you have a very high paid job but it uses up a lot of your time and you just want to get out an ride then why not just say to the bike shop 'I'd like a top spec gravel bike' and get out and ride it. Fingers crossed it's legit as it's pretty much a dream build with the components used. I was just concerned as with no reserve and very little detail it looked too good to be true.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

sean_iow wrote: I have met people with very expensive bikes who knew nothing about the spec etc.
Sounds like my wife. If you asked her what she rides it would be summer bike or winter bike to describe her road bikes, I think she knows what brand of mountain bike she has but that's where he knowledge stops.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Difficult to say from the ad, or the sellers history whether its genuine or not. I know a few people who shift bikes when they are finished with them in a similar way. Just put on ebay, no reserve and let it run. Sellers history looks like they use ebay occasionally just to get ride of stuff. If I was keen on that I would bid on it, and if I won, go and collect with cash in hand, expecting to walk away if there are no receipts etc. However I do expect that auction will go bonkers in the last 12 hours.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

It's going bonkers....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, definitely not as much of a bargain now.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Some cheap BAM (bamboo) stuff on SportPursuit.

If you use my invite https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Tim_Sellors_51952 i get stuff / £ but hey, do you own thing :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oooh, ta for that tip-off Monkey. Having a nightmare getting my usual Highlander bamboo tops - out of stock until July. Those usual SP prices are rather, er, premium aren't they? Sale prices get it down to "reasonable". Quite taken with those patterned tops! I might indulge I think.

R
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I find BAM stuff lovely but over-priced. However, there's almost always a sale code, bulk-buy discount etc that bring them down tot he "more affordable / justifiable" level.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Went for it - patterned tops - so ta again CM, good call..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The BAM stuff is good quality. I have a few pairs of socks and a couple of pairs jogging bottoms. In particular the joggers are available in a long length, which is very rare
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I see Evans are doing the Pinnacle Ramin 3 frame & forks for £200. Full 650b 3 inch tyre or 29 capacity, eccentric bottom bracket, fork anything cage mounts. If that had Salsa or Surly painted on it it would sell like hotcakes..... :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Christ it's almost worth buying a spare frameset for mine lol or something for my 29er wheels to attach to :)
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Are Alpine Trek an okay website? I found them searching for other bits and bobs and they seem to have a fair amount of decent stuff with 40% + discounts on.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/endura-hum ... VlZDM3MiJ9

It's last years but still good. And Im tempted by the camo* version!

*just caught autocorrect changing that to 'camp' :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

wriggles wrote:I see Evans are doing the Pinnacle Ramin 3 frame & forks for £200. Full 650b 3 inch tyre or 29 capacity, eccentric bottom bracket, fork anything cage mounts. If that had Salsa or Surly painted on it it would sell like hotcakes..... :-bd
It's an error so be quick ; )