Lightweight shelters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Lightweight shelters

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I think tarps are virtually faff-free. I can stick mine up (of course, I decided against the use of the word erect in this case) in around 90 seconds. I can also do it blindfolded as demonstrated at the WRT one year. No, it's tents that I find to be a faff - you even have to find a flat, level space before you begin. I'm also largely put off ultralight tents due to the limited room they offer, there aren't many that offer much room beyond lying down ... oh and the cost but that won't be a concern to Steve and this months portly wage packet :wink:

I really do think the Gatewood cape is a very good halfway house and actually possesses many benefits of both tarp and tent with very few of the drawbacks. Here's mine enjoying a day out with Mike's Lunar Solo.

So you reckon a gatewood and inner to keep critters out (with a lightweight bivibag (like a snugpak somethibg or other) could get me to sub 550g with another 70g on the lovely shed made carbon poles and some pegs!?!

I think thats me decided then (sorry Steve... your search continues but we're all here for you :grin: (wonder how much you'd be selling that Nordisk tent for... hmmm !??)

Shafiq
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shaf, doesn't the all-around cover of the cape remove the need for a b-bag or have I missed something?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote:Shaf, doesn't the all-around cover of the cape remove the need for a b-bag or have I missed something?
Yeah (amateurish here so I could be wrong) but doesn't the tarp option only means you want something to protect the sleeping bag from the elements...

Then if a groyndsheet might do that, theres the added faff of pegging it down if windy (no??) which adds weight...

Whereas with the bag you can just stuff the mat and sleeping bag in there and hopefully have a warmer night (right?)

:???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, there definitely needs to be the suggested tarp/tent show at the WRT then folk can see what each model or setup looks like.
Working on it Bob.
So you reckon a gatewood and inner to keep critters out (with a lightweight bivibag (like a snugpak somethibg or other) could get me to sub 550g with another 70g on the lovely shed made carbon poles and some pegs!?!
Kind of - the figure I mentioned before didn't include a bivvy bag but did inc' pole / pegs and inner net. As Reg suggests, with an inner net, there's no real need for a bivvy bag. However, the net doesn't have a bottom but it does have an elastic edge that can be pulled nice and snug beneath a mat. It you wanted to protect the mat, you'd need to add the weight of a groundsheet to the figures. Worth remembering that my figures only stack up with the S2S Nano net because most full inners, even light ones will usually weigh at least 270g. I think that makes sense. :roll:

Oh and do Snugpak made lightweight bivvy bags? - in my mind a proper lightweight bivvy won't weigh more than 200g.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If I use a tarp ( very rarely if using the helium ) the guys are already attached as I 95%of the time use a half/mid pyramid takes a couple of minutes to set up and tension ,if I need extra tension on the back I just tie it off the handle bars here it is at the winter Bivi ( not tied off at the back)
Attachments
2019-03-20_01-50-23.jpg
2019-03-20_01-50-23.jpg (175.83 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Person shape and size makes a big difference

If you're in the 5'6 to 5'10 camp you can fit in anything. If you're 5'10 to 6'1 or so then you're fine in most, but not all

If you're 6'2 or more then your options are far more limited. And when there's an inner involved you're limited further

Tarps for me aren't just about weight, they're often about 'experience' - being able to see, feeling like part of the surroundings etc
redefined_cycles

Sorry Stu... yes your right. Its their standard army issue type at 300g (must have got it in my head at the time that its lightweight at yhe time cos mine is 900g :smile:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I can stick mine up in around 90 seconds.
:shock: =))
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

C'mon Steve chap, put us out of our misery, we're all craving the second-hand, but still enjoyable, pleasure gained when someone else lays out huge amounts of wedge on some fancy new bit of gear so that we don't then have to :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

"stick mine up" - that's dredged up a memory of all those amazing ice lollies we used to have when us oldies were kids. One interaction from me and a pal with a vendor went something like: "I'll have a Stick Up please", "yes, and mine's a Wibbly Wobbly". Cue huge amounts of out-of-proportion laughter.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle ... s-11502595 (those Dracula's were ace - made your lips black!)

(Sorry, I'm re-reading the inestimable Nice Cup Of Tea And A Sit Down at the moment so I'm in a funny mood)

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ooh! What's this month's "Missing in Action"?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just searching on-line for a picture teddy shaped lollies which were the height of lolly desire as a child and stumbled across - 'Retro ice cream from your childhood' MAGNUM!, how can a magnum be retro, what are you twelve?
RIP

Post by RIP »

The unattainable one as far as we were concerned was called a Heart - vanilla ice-cream with a red blob of something in the middle, encased in a heart-shaped chocolate coating. It cost 1/- (*) which was far outside our affordability bracket, even if we were on holiday and could try and cadge from parents.

(*) 5p to the less ripe of our brethren

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote:C'mon Steve chap, put us out of our misery, we're all craving the second-hand, but still enjoyable, pleasure gained when someone else lays out huge amounts of wedge on some fancy new bit of gear so that we don't then have to :smile: .
:lol: :lol: :???:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Could the feeling of pleasure when someone else buys a shelter that's found to be totally rubbish be called shedenfreude.
I'll get my coat.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I was just wondering, I’ve an aversion to tarps, changed my rigid forks for boingers and run a 28x42 as my low gear. I did have one if stu’s stickers but it ‘fell’ off.

:o you don’t think I’ve gone s**t :o

Please don’t let it be true :YMPRAY:

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

BigdummySteve wrote:I was just wondering, I’ve an aversion to tarps, changed my rigid forks for boingers and run a 28x42 as my low gear. I did have one if stu’s stickers but it ‘fell’ off.

:o you don’t think I’ve gone s**t :o

Please don’t let it be true :YMPRAY:
Not with the gearing mate I've just got me 24-42 as my lowest gear ,but it is on a double and my excuse is it's gonna help with my leg :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Yes". Sorry, tried to break it gently but failed :smile: .

Just press the bloody button man!. I need a brew and I can't leave This Place until you do.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What do you think Reg, shall I just make him a Lunar pole? :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Nah the Luna weighs more than my wife!

RIP

Post by RIP »

Stu, pondering phase completed. Can we have a crack at this "World's Lightest Tent Pole" challenge then please? Obviously I'm currently Not Buying More Stuff, but apparently it's Happy Day or something today so that can be an excuse and I've issued myself with the necessary temporary-suspension-of-NBMS paperwork. Can't really justify it only for the weight saving and experimental amusement but if it was also a four-piece (yes I realise that slightly negates the weight-saving with its extra joint) I could then fit it in my bedroom 8L drybag. My poles are the the last things still stashed outside my bags - a situation that is quite rightly Frowned Upon by the authorities. Only thing I worry about is I don't want you to get stuck with a special-order shipping container full of the hard-to-get spigot jobbies! Oh, length - I had a 110cm 4-piece uncorded with I think 27.3cm per piece, so same as that. Does that all sound OK pls? All xpert advice & further weight savings gr8fully received.

"What do you think Reg, shall I just make him a Lunar pole?" .... "Nah the Luna weighs more than my wife!". This thread's gone even more weird!

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

To add yet another dimension to this puzzle the telemark outer and pole weighs 588g. If I had the ultra posh carbon poles we would be looking just over 500g.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Reg, learn to use the quote thingy:
it's really good
And will help us decipher your ramblings. Which are lovely, as are you.

Oddly enough, Ive just had a flashback. About 5 years ago, my kids did Bikeability at their primary school in Gerrards Cross. And there was a bearded weirdo on a Brompton running it. Reg. Mate. I think it was you!!!
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Reg... what you having your pole made for?? (Which shelter). I'll be knocking on BB towers shortly for one of them ultralight poles aswell (looking towards the deschutes or the gatewood but am sure this thread will develop futher and something else mighy come out of it) as long as price doesn't go too mad (do we have a guide price)...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote:I can't see him but I can tell Stevo's wavering, oh the peer pressure :lol:
I’m beginning to think a tarp might be the only way to loose any weight, even the very spendy zpaks is 430g plus pole, plus additional pegs needed.