Tubolito Tubes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Tubolito Tubes

Post by Lazarus »

Given how little they weigh i was doing to buy some for bikepacking. However i use both 650b +[2.8] and a 29 er [ 2.3] tyres. I am reluctant to buy multiples at these prices [ and in normal tubes carry a 29er 2.4 tube for both]. So how stretchy are they and what is the best option for one tube for both tyres ?
choices are
650 + or 29 +
650 or 29 standard
Anyone have them and able to advise?
Bearlegged

Re: Tubolito Tubes

Post by Bearlegged »

Not tried the trick myself, but I once saw 29" described as the universal tube. If fitting to a smaller tyre, before inflating it you sort of poke a section of the tube back into itself to reduce the circumference.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not very is the answer. They also seem very fragile.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I nearly bought some but I think a few on here found them too fragile to actually use as a tube?

I use schwalbe xlight which are 149g so not too heavy and hopefully more durable. I think a normal tube is 250g so a worthwhile weight saving. And they can be patched using normal patches. Plus they're much much cheaper.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/inner-tubes ... 622-40635/

I carry that size for either my 650B x 2.35, 29 x 2.1 and 29 x 2.35.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Agree with Bob.
They are plastic rather than elastic in nature. Wouldn't think over inflating a standard tube to fit a plus tyre would work too well even if it was the right wheel size.
I suspect the area around the valve would not inflate enough and could potentially split.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Why not just go tubeless or have I missed something... Having fragile (which lightweight tubes are gonna be in almost all cases in some way shape or form even thi8gh they might be slightly less fragile in one or 2 depts if you spent enough money.. if that makes sense) tube inside a long distance setup is just recipe for disaster (IMO)...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I carry tubes to use on a tyre that's too badly damaged to seal, I run the bike tubeless but these are for large holes that won't seal or tears I might have to stitch up and put a tyre boot inside.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Aha. Sorry. I see now.. tubolite as the spare... (I just carry a standard tube for that sort of thing but guess somethibg light would be erm, lighter

Edit - https://bikerumor.com/2018/05/10/trail- ... e-century/ - I have been educated... :-bd ta
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes its just a very lightweight spare v a standard tube for a tubeless setup on tour and not exactly being highly recommended here either

the 29 er tube in the 650 b + has been fine for the last 500 miles [ ripped side wall so it wont go back to tubeless ]and not changed since mid tour repair when it was used.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I use Specialized 3" tubes in my 4" tyred fatbike and have been doing so for the past 7-8 years.

As for Tubolitos, I carry one or two as a spare on my Plus setup which is run tubeless. I also have a couple of Tenacious patches which should handle any subsequent problems with the Tubolitos.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Has anyone here actually used one after having a failure with a tubeless setup that wouldn't seal? Just to get some real world feedback.

I think both Javi and RG tried them on the BB300 and both failed on inflation, but I might have got that wrong as I had been awake for 36 hours when I heard that :lol: I think Bob had an issue with his as well but can't remember on which trip.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I used one on the JennRide last year, got a puncture heading in to Coniston on the first day that wouldn't seal. It wasn't old sealant as I only built the bike up a month or so before. The Tubolito held up overnight but the following day it would slowly deflate over a period of a couple of hours. There was no "hidden" thorn in the tyre as I've since used a normal tube in it with no problem.

Javi had a puncture near Rhaeadr and ended up using paper pamphlets to "inflate" his tyre to get back to Llanbrynmair, there's pictures on the BB200/300 thread IIRC.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote:Has anyone here actually used one after having a failure with a tubeless setup that wouldn't seal? Just to get some real world feedback.
I've used a 29+ Tubolito in a flint damaged tyre. Tyre was boot patched and the tube inserted. I was on day 2 of a 4 day trip and it lasted till I got home.

I think I've mentioned it on here before as a heads up but I'll say it again. The official Tubolito repair kit is simply pieces of McNett repair tape with alcohol wipes to ensure a good bond.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

/shudders

Don't even get me started. 8 goddamn hours of pain that would have been avoided if only I had brought a proper tube instead of that shitty thing for a spare.

If your routes ever get thorns, forget it.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richard G wrote:/shudders

Don't even get me started. 8 goddamn hours of pain that would have been avoided if only I had brought a proper tube instead of that shitty thing for a spare.

If your routes ever get thorns, forget it.
I don't want to speak for Javi but looking at the fun he was having I'll give them a swerve.

It's not really weight/space saving if you're in for a long walk home.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not really weight/space saving if you're in for a long walk home.
Aye, stuff's still got to function. Carrying the lightest option just because it's the lightest option regardless of function, is generally a hiding to nowt. I suppose we're all (most, some) looking for the lightest, most packable option, that still does what it's meant to.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

exactly my reason for asking as no point carrying extra weight but even less point saving weight and then carrying something , only used in an "emergency", if it wont function as desired.

Tbh the reviews here are so bad that i am wondering whether its even worth a 58g* penalty for one as my second tube and it certainly wont be my only option

cheers all.

* insane weight still makes it tempting
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

To be fair to Tubolito, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have the fastest ever recorded time for a BB300 (#notarace) so I'd say to anyone who's doing the Brauton 150, Dales Divide or HT550 this year that they should be your tube of choice :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

sean_iow wrote:To be fair to Tubolito, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have the fastest ever recorded time for a BB300 (#notarace) so I'd say to anyone who's doing the Brauton 150, Dales Divide or HT550 this year that they should be your tube of choice :wink:

:lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

sean_iow wrote:To be fair to Tubolito, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have the fastest ever recorded time for a BB300 (#notarace) so I'd say to anyone who's doing the Brauton 150, Dales Divide or HT550 this year that they should be your tube of choice :wink:
:lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

As the person (with Mike) who saved RG from certain meltdown near the end of the BB300 (by lending him Mike's spare tube), I can't recommend the tubolito tubes at all - crappy spares are not worth carrying, and punctures only ever happen when it's cold, wet, muddy or generally at a time when you really don't need them.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As the person (with Mike) who saved RG from certain meltdown near the end of the BB300 (by lending him Mike's spare tube)
You generous, selfless b'stard :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Was my good deed of the day Stu!

And in fairness to me, I did use mine first but it had a hole in.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Bought one (29er) about a year ago.

Used it on two separate occasions to get me home. It did the trick...

First occasion led me to buy the little Swiss tool which had plyers in it cos I couldn’t unscrew the ... screw ! which keeps the valve on (fortunately another mtb’er helped me out)

So far I have confidence in it (but on multi day probably would take it plus an ordinary one)

(Another little trick: always carry a valve extractor if you’re tubeless... if valve has not been unscrewed for ages it gets very difficult to get out)... and sometimes it can be very difficult to get air in when sealant has gunged it up.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

agree with that - a lesson i learned locally* but still a pain in the arse] when a tyre punctured but then sealed without enough air in it and i could neither undo the vale core toinflate nor the nut to take out the valve

Ebay do a CNC cheap one [ china import] weight about 10 g and does both or the woolftooth chain tool also does both [ and is a tyre lever]

* bottom of wilderwoods as the path, behind the houses, reaches rivvy school - seeing as you are a local you will know it ]