Creative solutions for brake leaver positioning?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

keirgallagher

Creative solutions for brake leaver positioning?

Post by keirgallagher »

I’m in need of some creative solutions for brake lever positioning for a set of velo orange crazy bars (https://velo-orange.com/products/crazy-bars), which I've just ordered for my (new! - thanks whonickedmename) genesis vagabond.

I’m keen to try and work out a way to have brake levers on both the bull horns (for tarmac descents) and swept back sections (for off road descents).

I’m trying to get my head round areo levers, non-areo levers, inverted levers, bar end levers etc etc to try and work this out, but every solution I can think of results in cables shooting out of the bars at ugly and impractical angles. For example, this is one solution, but it’s certainly not the prettiest: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... ndale.html

Doing this in reverse also seems possible The other way round is also possible, with bar end shifters for the bull horns and then interrupters for the swept back position. However, with the cable ‘ending’ at the bull horns, the direction the cable run through the interrupters makes things complex as hell.

Using normal interrupters/in-line brakes doesn’t seem to work as the cable need to pass through these inside to out, whereas to lead up to the bull horns I need the cable leading from outside in.

Inverted/reversed interrupters might work, but I’d worry the cable would then loop out beyond the width of the bars which is another impractical nightmare.

Anyone have any cunning ideas as to how something a little more practical could be achieved? The only thing which I can feasibly think might work is cable doublers (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/prob ... oubler-12/), but I’m not keen on them as they’re very expensive, look finicky and would also, I suspect, have a negative impact on brake power.

If nothing else works, what would people recommend as a position for just one set of levers, my inclination is on the sweeps as off road is more likely to see regular braking. If nothing else works I'll just try this and see how it goes.
benp1

Re: Creative solutions for brake leaver positioning?

Post by benp1 »

Are you at risk over complicated things?

Get on the flat bars to brake, use the extension when you don't need to brake. You can always move your hands one at a time

(I taped my set for my bike on the weekend. Haven't fitted it yet because I need to remove my ESI grips from my bars to get my controls off, which I'm loathe to do
Last edited by benp1 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't know if they still have them but Magura used to sell a range of adapters to let two brakes run off one master cylinder and vice versa. It certainly seems to me that hydraulic offers a better solution - in particular doing away with any sponginess caused by cable interrupters.

But I'd just go with levers on the swept bit of the bars. That's how folk run TT bars.
keirgallagher

Post by keirgallagher »

I probably am over complicating things, but once I started thinking about it I really liked the idea of having levers on both, and to be honest have quite enjoyed trying to work out a solution.

I'll likely just run with levers on the flats as you suggest, but still keen to try something else if a creative solution can be found. Partly just because I like the idea of bar end levers on the bull horns.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Take a look at the triathlon bikes and their homemade setups and solutions. Am sure it will provide plenty of food for thought...

I've been thinking about having an exyra hand position aswell and also making the grips alot more comfy. Glad I just see these crazybars... Indeed they do look crazy and am sure they do a pretty good job.

Whats you peoples take on just adding some bullhorns (my bars are super wide for the DHs on rigid forks) but not to the ends of the bars. Making it something like this CrazyBar setup and then just wrapping with bar tape for the grips as well as over the bullhorns.. does that not work out cheaper and give a similar thing (just thinking whats my cheapear way to ensure I dont suffer numb hands on the PBW)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

*sorry... i meant bar ends (not bull horns)