Borrowing someones route from Strava

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Borrowing someones route from Strava

Post by BreninBeener »

Im happy to nav myself around, but sometimes i want to just ride my bike and be told by my Garmin where to turn off etc so i can just follow a track.

Is it possible i can borrow routes that others have done on strava? if so, how?

thanks

Ian
pistonbroke

Re: Borrowing someones route from Strava

Post by pistonbroke »

Not sure about Strava but it's definitely possible with wikiloc, in fact it's their main use. Depends where you're planning to ride as the UK coverage is patchy but in France, Spain etc it's a fantastic resource.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This Chrome extension adds an option to export Strava rides to GPX: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ngiihppkei
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You can do it *sometimes* by clicking on the spanner icon then choosing "Create Route". This opens Strava Route Builder with the route already loaded, now you just save it with a suitable name then export it from Strava Route Builder. If you want "turn by turn" instructions then "Export TCX".

Note that I said sometimes: I've found the above to work with activities done by people I follow on Strava and occasionally for activities by those I don't but the latter isn't reliable and I don't know why one works and another doesn't.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

I thought you were able to download gpx files but now it appears you need to subscribe to ' Summit' ??
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

im not a subscriber so i will try the above options :-)

Ian
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BreninBeener wrote:im not a subscriber so i will try the above options :-)

Ian
I'm a Strava member but I'm not a "premium"/"Summit" user. I don't know how or if the instructions I gave work for someone who isn't a member.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ron Thomson

Post by Ron Thomson »

I find that the strava subscription fee is worth it just for the download feature alone.
It allows you to download any strava file as a gpx.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I create a route, save as private, then download, upload to Komoot and then edit away from there. I'm a paid up member of Strava until April, unsure if I'm going to keep giving them money or not, if I can't download it as a .gpx on free, that would make me re think...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote:You can do it *sometimes* by clicking on the spanner icon then choosing "Create Route". This opens Strava Route Builder with the route already loaded, now you just save it with a suitable name then export it from Strava Route Builder. If you want "turn by turn" instructions then "Export TCX".

Note that I said sometimes: I've found the above to work with activities done by people I follow on Strava and occasionally for activities by those I don't but the latter isn't reliable and I don't know why one works and another doesn't.
This is the method I use. Just one thing to add is that Strava isn't very mtb/singletrack savvy and some tracks it just cannot fathom that we would want to ride over them. Hence when copying someone elses route and saving/editing it, it will sometimes move the route line away from the actual track that was ridden to a nearby road... just someyhing to be aware of.

Another method that used to work previously to get yourself a gpx from someone elses route (I dont need to faff about making a gpx anymore as am on Wahoo and it just opens my route once its been starred and importing a gpx is just as easy :roll: just saying) is to grab the rpute/ride url from the persons ride via a desktop page. Bring it onto here https://labs.strava.com/gpx-to-route/#1 ... 3/37.73651 and convert away. I think with it being a beta version it sometimes crashes or cabt handle too many way points. So 40 miles or so is ok but normally it crashes trying to convert a 100 miler...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you are a Strava user why not just kudos the ride and comment on it asking the rider to share the route with you?
May just work
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC