Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Silk road race video

Post by ootini »

Not sure if this is old news, but... https://vimeo.com/317470522
summittoppler

Re: Silk road race video

Post by summittoppler »

I just finished watching it. Wow, what a landscape and full respect goes out to all who started.
A truly fantastic film!
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Such a great video! So inspiring, and you can actually feel the pain they're going through.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Thanks for that. Followed the race and podcasts so this is a great video to finish the story off :-bd
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I enjoyed that - excellent - interesting seeing how totally knackered Jay looked just at CP1.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Watched last night. Really enjoyed it.

I was expecting it to put me off the idea of doing it, or something like it, but it made me want to do it more, and (and this might sound strange/foolish/big-headed) made it seem possible. I think it was seeing the reality of it rather than just reading about it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I enjoyed that, but it would have been nice to have seem more of the other competitors as there was a lot going on further down the field as well.
thenorthwind wrote:Watched last night. Really enjoyed it.

I was expecting it to put me off the idea of doing it, or something like it, but it made me want to do it more, and (and this might sound strange/foolish/big-headed) made it seem possible. I think it was seeing the reality of it rather than just reading about it.
If perhaps the film had shown more of the other racers you might not be so keen :wink: From chatting to someone who was there it was a lot tougher than the film portrays, only a brief mention of food poisoning, no mention of the difficulties getting food/supplies (unless you like fermented yak butter) and the altitude and weather made it a real test. I think a couple of racers had to be rescued due to hypothermia?

But it does look a stunning place to ride and still very remote... although having followed the race and kept up to date with the social media posts of friends who were doing it there seems to be a reasonable mobile phone signal coverage which surprised me.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I saw it, followed by a talk given by Mike Sheldrake (who finished in 19th place).
While I loved the landscape, and was amazed by what they went through, I did find the focus on the top three a bit disappointing, and it would have been great to have a bit more on the racers' stories.
Mike's story and photos on the other hand were great, the added details really made the country and the event come alive.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yes, I did rather feel some of the hardship was glossed over. A few mentions of how many scratched, but not their stories.

I agree that some focus on the rest of the pack would have been nice. I thought once the first 4 had finished they'd show some stories from those still riding, but that was the end of the film. Bit of a shame.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

They must have loads more footage as they had quite a big media thing going on with filming, the chase cars, the podcast/radio thing, so perhaps they'll release some more films with it in, fingers crossed. I appreciate there is a lot of work in editing to turn the content into something to release so it's great they put the effort in to get this film out.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
psling

Post by psling »

Just watched this on PedalEd. Looks a totally amazing place to ride. I think you can not only see the suffering in the 'long stares' but also in the level of 'conversation' along the way!
I guess a film by the promotors is going to concentrate on the leaders plus, as I understand it, the leaders got through the worst of the weather before the pack which maybe made the logistics of following with cameras rather than waiting up ahead with cameras more difficult. Hopefully more to come.

As an aside, the book Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy is worth the read (if you haven't already read it). A more leisurely ride through the neighbouring area some 50 years or more previously!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

there seems to be a reasonable mobile phone signal coverage which surprised me.
C'mon, it's not Wales is it? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way