Watery eyes, your solutions.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Watery eyes, your solutions.

Post by Ray Young »

As I get older I'm finding my eyes tend to become watery in windy conditions or even on fast descents meaning I can't see very well. I wear glasses and am wondering what cheap solutions are out there to overcome this. I'm thinking along the line of goggles but don't want huge things, any recommendations?
ScotRoutes

Re: Watery eyes, your solutions.

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've have this problem too, but only really in Winter. I'm currently using original Oakley Windjackets. These were the Splitjacket with an attachment that turned them into mini goggles. Originally designed for motorcyclists. They're not available now, though I reckon I could still get replacement prescription lenses if needs be. Otherwise, I'll be looking for something very similar at some point.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

I've had this for a long time and haven't found a solution. I'm told it is probably dry eye syndrome or even blepharitis, caused by glands in the eyelids clogging up. I've tried drops, sprays and now heated eye mask with, so far, little effect. As soon as I go outside, especially when cold, it starts and I have trouble seeing anything if I have to look down. I think wearing glasses makes it worse. Haven't tried goggles.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

I'm having this problem, not made any better by my glasses not sticking to my face very well so on any bumpy downhill they'll be jumping around like mad while my eyes water. Makes for quite trippy riding at times, but does increase your confidence after a while that if you went almost completely blind you could still ride a bike.
But I'd rather it didnt happen.

I'm close to hitting the button on some Rad8 varifocals, quite large sporty shades with very grippy legs that should stay in place a bit better, and hopefully the size of the lens will mean less watering. Hopefully.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

They wouldn't work for me as I need to wear glasses underneath. I looked at ski goggles but they're huge and tinted. I may have to go the prescription goggles route.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Have a look at glacier/mountaineering glasses.

Something like this...

https://www.sportsprescriptionglasses.c ... cts_id=308
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I can get away without my distance lenses as things would only be slightly out of focus but I definitely need my reading lenses to see the map on my GPS. I wonder if I could get away with glueing some small cheap reading lenses to the lower part of some goggles?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-Classic- ... B00D2UMCVK

Aware they look a bit special, but clear at the top and Bifocal at the bottom. The wraparound may also be of benefit.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

How about these ? Goggles with reading lens. I use their safety glasses for cycling, 1.5 lens is close to my prescription and as they’re cheap not too worried about damaging them
https://www.voltxsafety.com/defender-goggles-i252.htm
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

SeannyD wrote:How about these ? Goggles with reading lens. I use their safety glasses for cycling, 1.5 lens is close to my prescription and as they’re cheap not too worried about damaging them
Ordered. Thanks people, great help as ever.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Cool, would you mind doing a wee review of them, might geta set myself. :cool:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

SeannyD wrote:Cool, would you mind doing a wee review of them, might geta set myself. :cool:
Will do.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-CONSTRUC ... ords=voltX

I purchased this 3 pack a while back and find them to be very good. They wrap around quite well and offer a good level of protection with absolutely no side draughts, mine are +2.5. Also pretty good for reading outside on a sunny day.

Think they can also be purchased individually.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:
SeannyD wrote:How about these ? Goggles with reading lens. I use their safety glasses for cycling, 1.5 lens is close to my prescription and as they’re cheap not too worried about damaging them
Ordered. Thanks people, great help as ever.
Arrived today and look promising but not tried them yet. The ventilation holes look a bit small but there is plenty of scope to drill bigger ones without compromising them if they steam up.