An ode to the e-bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

An ode to the e-bike

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I went out for a spin round Whinlatter at the weekend and I honestly have to say that I reached a new level of motivation thanks to the wondrous e-bike technology.

I wasn't on an e-bike, but when I saw two portly chaps and full bouncers, full face helmets and full body armour pop out of the singletrack in front of me and then seemingly soft pedal their way upwards while gently chatting as if it were a tootle round a lake, I charged after them. Only after minutes of grinding my way vertically on the plus sized Ramin wondering how the hell they had hidden their fitness in full Fox gear did I catch them just before the top, me red faced and dripping in sweat gasping for lungfuls of crisp lake district air, them guzzling energy gel, did I see the battery packs.... still, good for a Strava PB...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: An ode to the e-bike

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's what's great ... they're good for those who 'can't' and great for those who simply 'can't be arsed'. Either way, it's better than watching telly. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If decent ones weren't so expensive I'd have bought one for family members to use (like my dad or my wife)
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:That's what's great ... they're good for those who 'can't' :-bd
Amen.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

indeed! :-bd

As someone who's always had really crap lung capacity, when we hired e-mtbs for my 50th birthday last month it was a revelation - going up a very steep hill at 25kph whilst having a not-out-of-breath conversation. Bloody brilliant. I'd NEVER get bored of that! I was worried the 'e' bit would take away from the enjoyment, but it just added another layer. :mrgreen:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They are great training aids - my pal will go up a climb like a rat up a drainpipe on hers, and I get to destroy myself trying to keep up. Which is good for me, or something.... Plus when I'm old and knackered I will still be going biking :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes, my wife hired one when we stayed near Lake Como. I nearly burst myself trying to keep up :shock:
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

The main trouble with them for me is when the battery runs out. I get bad enough anxiety watching a light battery guage go down let alone worrying about whether my whole bike was going to run out.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Half way round a near 50mile ride to deliver some shoes I had a go on pickers new wonder bike, he cheerfully suggested that I jump on and ride back down the large hill I had just ridden up in the Fargo. Naturally I was suspicious :???: but it went up like I was on the flat :YMPARTY:

That said the Cotswolds finest clay defeated us both after only 100mtrs stopping us dead and forcing us back to tarmac.

For someone with any health restriction or a non-sweaty way to commute, if it allows you to carry on riding or leave the car at home I’m all for it :-bd

I’d like a Big Fat Dummy with a bottom bracket Bosch motor and a big FO battery, be dead good for hauling silly amounts of stuff without the car.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’ve been thinking about ebikes quite a bit lately. My Dad, in his mid 70s was diagnosed with Cancer a while back and has recently finished Chemo. All the tests are very positive so that’s all good. Should really catch up with the brothers and see what they think. He used to love bikes before age caught up with him.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

BigdummySteve wrote: I’d like a Big Fat Dummy with a bottom bracket Bosch motor and a big FO battery, be dead good for hauling silly amounts of stuff without the car.
Your wish is my command...

Nothing to see here. :roll:
Last edited by johnnystorm on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

home brew version of what johnystorms posted ive been using for 2 years for errands/pub and commuting when knackered.

works well.
Attachments
IMG_20181008_172850252.jpg
IMG_20181008_172850252.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Nice! :)

I hate to think of the Surly RRP. :sad:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

johnnystorm wrote:
BigdummySteve wrote: I’d like a Big Fat Dummy with a bottom bracket Bosch motor and a big FO battery, be dead good for hauling silly amounts of stuff without the car.

Double top secret huh? :grin:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

yeah sheesh it wouldnt be cheap.

mines was an old kona Sutra frame and some old DH rims i had lying about + some used krampus forks

Added a bafang BBS motor and battery + a used xtracycle free radical.

probably owes me 1k or there abouts.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

PaulB2 wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:

Double top secret huh? :grin:
Dunno what you're talking about.
Look into the light ..
Look into the light ..
Men-in-Black-reboot.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like the idea of e-biking my brompton.

It already is capable of carrying more than you would think - front bag, child in the middle (daughter just about fits OK at 6), carradice pack on the seat post and rucksack on me. Only problem is getting near the weight limit

But the killer benefit is then being able to lob it in public transport without any grief