Waterproofing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Waterproofing

Post by Adventurer »

I have a banjobrothers commenting bag which is made out of condora I think. It’s ok for light showers but anything more it sets out and I have had items get wet inside.

I’ve tried nikwax direct, but that’s not helped at all. So I thought why not try cotton wax, the wax they use on wax jackets. Seen some you tube videos of outdoor people using on more than just jackets

I bought some waterproof gold wax of amazon, melted the wax by putting the pot in some boiling water.

Then with a cloth put this wax onto the bag. After this I used a hair dyer on hot to melt wax and run into frabric.

I allowed the bag to cool then tried it by running water over the bag.

Before water would just soak in, now it heads off. I must say I’m impressed so far, a long term test will show how well it works.

But then I thought, bikepacking bags. I use non waterproof ones which will soak through. I don’t rely on the bags being waterproof but every little helps.

So tried the wax on one of my bags. Well, so far it works. I’ll try it in real world use and see if I want to add it to my other bikepacking bags.

Don’t know why I’ve never tried it before, anyone else used it?