Tuscany Trail 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Tuscany Trail 2019

Post by gairym »

Anyone heading over this year?

I was all set to give it a miss this year but.....sorting something else I'd enjoy more proved to be more hassle than I had energy to deal with and so I played it safe.

My 5th year in a row (only missed the first year) and I'm already looking forward to it.

So....?
robbie

Re: Tuscany Trail 2019

Post by robbie »

I done it 2 years ago and have considered it for this year. How were the route changes last year they took out the 2 big climbs on the first day if I remember right? was the rest of the route pretty much left the same?
gairym

Post by gairym »

The route changes were good, a lot more mountain-bikey than I was expecting (with the current trend for gravel bikes).

But the loss on paper of so much climbing on the first day made me totally under estimate what was replacing it and I really struggled in the heat (and with all the climbing still left on day one).

The rest was minor changes here and there.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've been considering this or the TNR but I've missed that one I think.

Logistics are a question for me. Where is the start/ finish Gairy?
gairym

Post by gairym »

The start is in Massa and the finish, Capalbio.

Easiest place to fly into and out of is Pisa.

About a 1 hour train ride (or ~100km ride) to the start and then 2 hour train ride back to the airport.

Tempted....?
barambogie

Post by barambogie »

I have entered the Tuscany Trail this year. (Previous experience: the Mundabiddi Trail in Western Australia, and the South Downs Way). I'll be doing it on a Merida 29er with TT bars added to give a faster position on good gravel roads.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Very tempted indeed.
I'll be discussing with my good lady this evening :-)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Flights look a reasonable price. How do you deal with bike bags?
I guess getting a box from a shop will be tricky with 500 other riders around?

Cheers
gairym

Post by gairym »

I drive. So not much help there I'm afraid. :???:

The others stayed in a hotel near the airport on the night of arrival, left their bags there and then picked them up on their way back through so that's an option.

There's also a (paid) bag transport service from the start to the finish. 60€ rings a bell but never used it so can't say for sure how much it is.

I'll have my car somewhere near the start which you're welcome to keep stuff in but who knows what'll happen during the event and so reclaiming your box might not end up being so logistically simple.

Plenty of options though...
gairym

Post by gairym »

barambogie wrote:I have entered the Tuscany Trail this year. (Previous experience: the Mundabiddi Trail in Western Australia, and the South Downs Way). I'll be doing it on a Merida 29er with TT bars added to give a faster position on good gravel roads.
Oh and hi Mr Bogie :-bd

You sound faster than me (the words 'TT bars' and 'faster' gave it away) but at the very least let's chat and grab a beer (protein shake?) at the sign up.
barambogie

Post by barambogie »

gairym wrote:
You sound faster than me (the words 'TT bars' and 'faster' gave it away) but at the very least let's chat and grab a beer (protein shake?) at the sign up.
Hi Gairy, I'm definitely not particularly fast - the TT bars were a substitute for having drop bars on my 29er, but turned out to be a good option for a comfortable position on gravel roads in Australia, so I imagine they might do a similar job here. Absolutely, lets meet at the signup. I've planned to fly in a day early (to make sure I have time to get the bike sorted in case of any issues, maybe get out for a bit of a reccy ride) and will be staying in a hotel in Massa for the 2 nights before the start.
barambogie

Post by barambogie »

OK, here are a few photos of the bicycle I'll be using for the Tuscany Trail, more or less. I'll probably trim weight down a bit; some decisions to be made as to stuff that can be left behind (the trip in the picture was winter and a bit more remote). This is a bike that started off as a cheap 2nd hand mtb for running down to the train station, and ended up being converted into a bike packing bike. Ultimately I aim to buy something like a Curve GMX, but won't be for this June.

gairym

Post by gairym »

Looks about perfect to me.

No idea what I'll ride this year. Bit of a weird one as I've never ridden the same bike twice in Tuscany and this year (if I want to continue the pointless silliness) then I need to finally use my gravel bike (not ideal on large sections of the route).

Might just have to bite the bullet and use the 29er
Chew

Post by Chew »

FLV wrote:How do you deal with bike bags?
When we went, you could pay a few quid to have them transferred to the finish
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FLV wrote:How do you deal with bike bags?
We left bike boxes at left luggage at the train station, a short shuttle ride from the airport. Airport wouldn't take them as it was far too much Italian drama.

It's a 58km completely flat ride from Pisa to the start, mostly along the a quiet coast road and it's pretty pleasant. :-bd
postierich

Post by postierich »

Always been on my to do list but to close to the HT550 for me would love to do it out of the mass start
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm in.
Growler

Post by Growler »

I was torn. Decided to do Veneto Trail instead this year. But still mighty tempted.

We used the transport bag to finish service, put one inside t'other with all our clean touristy stuff then headed to Rome afterwards to be touristy and watch Dules of Hazzard on TV with dubious overdub. :grin:
cycletribes

Post by cycletribes »

Just signed up for this ride. Started it 2 years ago but had to give up with a buckled front wheel on day 2. Let's hope this time is more successful. :smile:
gairym

Post by gairym »

cycletribes, cool see you there!

Did we meet two years ago?

I've no idea who I've met and when as the years are all a blur these days :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Just saw you mentioned doing it on a gravel bike with 42c tyres back in '17.

If anything I'd say the new changes to the route make it less not more suitable for a gravel bike than in '17.

Don't let that put you off as I'm still thinking that I'll likely do it on my gravel bike but it might be worth considering if a buckled wheel meant an early bath last time out.
Last edited by gairym on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycletribes

Post by cycletribes »

gairym,

we didn't meet back in 2017. The gravel bike seemed okay in 2017, me carrying too much gear and hitting a low wall is the reason for the buckled wheel :lol:
I was running on Surly Knard tires.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll be riding it on my mountain bike, its the most comfy one for me personally. I might pop some rigid forks on it for extra water carrying but thats all.
FLV

Post by FLV »

How long is a piece of string....

How long does the average joe take to ride the route, can anyone who's ridden it offer any clues?

Booking flights, so wondering which day to book the return.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I think 5 days at a nice pleasant pace is about right for me.

Totally achievable quicker but first time out I did it in 3 days 15 hours and not only was I broken but I also felt like I'd missed out on fully experiencing the area.

Since then I keep going back not to get faster but to take it all in and enjoy my time in that part of the world.

So.....my plan usually looks something like: put in a nice big first day to get to Florence so that I can spend the night in such a nice historic city. Then I settle down to just putting miles in and ending up where I end up. Finally I try to get to Albinia in the evening on the fourth day so that I can get up, do the 'island' before it's too hot and get done at around lunchtime so that I can head somewhere pleasant and touristy for the final night before heading back the next day.
Last edited by gairym on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.