Gatwick bivi spot?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Gatwick bivi spot?

Post by Rasta »

I have a flight from London Gatwick at 7am. Check in 5am. Wake up 4am.
Last couple of times I slept at the airport. But that was bad with the tanoy sounding every 15mins. Police dogs etc.

Anyone know of a discreet spot nesrby? I'll head up on the last train and try to get 4hrs kip.

PS. bike wrapped in plastic still okay with Easyjet? Or have things changed?
belugabob

Re: Gatwick bivi spot?

Post by belugabob »

There's a nice little park, really close to the south terminal...

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.162996, ... 727,15.93z

But it's right next to the main A23, so might be too noisy
jameso

Post by jameso »

I ride past that park a few times a week - part of my (long!) commute. If you look on the WNW side of the lake you'll be good. There's a separate field area and some cover under the trees. Dog walkers and kids with joints pretty common there but post 10pm it'd be OK. Take earplugs, the whole area is plane and car noise-blighted.

(posting for general/future ref also)

As you enter the park from the S here you'll see the bottom corner of the lake dead ahead and the man bike path turns to the right / E. Instead of following the main bike path to the E side of the lake, ride to the W side of the path and you'll find quieter spots. Relatively that is - bear in mind it's a park in a built up area, though it's not a bad area at all or known for muggings etc and I've never seen anything dodgier than pot smokers there in many years of passing through. I would bivi there but my standards are lower than many!

To get there from S terminal is easy though tbh getting out of the damn airport is the trickiest bit, they make a good job of making the best exit hard to find.

At the train (rail) station level of 'South Terminal Check In – Third Floor' - head towards the shrink-wrap bags stand on the departures side, near to Zone F / '4' / Lift to Platforms at the base of this map - then look for 'Lift to Cycle Path' sign next to the shrinkwrap stand and near to one entry to the train platforms. There's a metal-shuttered lift door, looks like a work exit but it's also for the bike path.

Take that lift down to to ground level, exit and go left on the bike path, Sustrans route 21 towards Horley - the small park is a 3 min ride from there.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/51.1606 ... m2!4m1!3e2

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-21
zoom in on the airport / park area on NCN21 here
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Brilliant!

Thanks both of you. And for the map links.
I was expecting to get out of the airport by road but that path avoids it all.

A few years ago I slept in the middle of one of the roundabouts. Loads of bushes. And with the rain on the bivi sack I didn't hear the cars.

Got a tarp tent this time, so too obvious for roundabouts.