Fat tyre kicker

Re: Possible Tent,

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Same as the Solo then ?
Edit;...as in the Solo is available through Uk sites but many order direct
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Same as the Solo then ?
Edit;...as in the Solo is available through Uk sites but many order direct

Apologies, I meant the Aeon Li uggestion. I'm sorry. Pretty tempted by the SMD Trekking tent. Appparantly fit 6ft people in a-ok and it's not single skin.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I'm 182 cm (just shy of 6 ft) and use a SMD Deschutes shelter for solo hiking trips and have modified it a little with additional tie outs but also without it's a very likeable piece of gear. Large enough for 3 season use, a bit too short for a winter bag, thicker mat and a little snow load on it. It also depends a bit on the pitch (high or low when eg in high winds) and how you lie (diagonally offering more length).

So far I've only used it with light weight hiking poles (sometimes with two) and it was quite amazing in the wind for what it is.

It's prepared to take an inner.
Or can of course just be used naked, or with a selfmade (dead easy) bathtub floor etc. Leaves you with quite some options.

The Deschutes plus the Serenity net could possibly tick your boxes and can go with many things you might ask in future from a shelter.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The new tarptent is quite exciting. I'm 6'3 and struggle to find shelters that work.

I'm guessing it's going to be very expensive though
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Following Bob's link to ULOG, the SMD Skyscape might be worth a look. There's two versions, one lighter and one heavier. Both are very roomy and will feel more like a tent than a Lunar. Just remember that you'll need to add the cost of poles as they both come without.

Light: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10299

Heavier: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10300
+1 for the SMD Skyscape tents.

I've got the Scout version which is pleasantly affordable (for ultra light outdoor gear), light enough to not make me tempted to get the lighter version, has plenty of room for me (at 6' 2") and my kit and is still going strong after 6 years of use and abuse.

:-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I really like the look of the Skyscape! Think that's my choice made! Thank you for all your input, again! There's 3 big things I needed to get right. Tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat and I've sorted all three now. Just get Xmas out the way and then I can look at spending some more money!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Alpinum wrote:I'm 182 cm (just shy of 6 ft) and use a SMD Deschutes shelter for solo hiking trips and have modified it a little with additional tie outs but also without it's a very likeable piece of gear. Large enough for 3 season use, a bit too short for a winter bag, thicker mat and a little snow load on it. It also depends a bit on the pitch (high or low when eg in high winds) and how you lie (diagonally offering more length).

So far I've only used it with light weight hiking poles (sometimes with two) and it was quite amazing in the wind for what it is.

It's prepared to take an inner.
Or can of course just be used naked, or with a selfmade (dead easy) bathtub floor etc. Leaves you with quite some options.

The Deschutes plus the Serenity net could possibly tick your boxes and can go with many things you might ask in future from a shelter.
A Deschutes plus the Serenity net is nothing like the Lunar Solo, I've got both. Both shelters are the same size and shape but the Serenity net is tiny compared to the space offered by the Lunar Solo. It's a rectangle so you lose all the space at the back, head height is lower and it's shorter. I'm 6ft tall and find the Serenity Net a bit cramped, it's just about right for a mat and sleeping bag but don't expect to store any gear in there. My wife is 5'8 and uses it occasionally, she says it's OK. The Lunar Solo has loads of space and is a palace by comparison. The Deschutes with a bivy bag is my choice for solo winter camping, I prefer the Solo in the summer when there's bug around.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really like the look of the Skyscape! Think that's my choice made! Thank you for all your input, again! There's 3 big things I needed to get right. Tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat and I've sorted all three now. Just get Xmas out the way and then I can look at spending some more money!
I know someone who could do you a good deal on some poles for it :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I've heard talk of some mystical fella who spends his days either whittling away in a shed in mid Wales with endless cups of tea or can be found tramping through tussocks in his native habitat , apparently I met him a couple of times but I'm unsure as the one I met was smiling :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I know someone who could do you a good deal on some poles for it :wink:
I will need some won't I :grin:
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

With Bob on this one... Trekkertent, go to the 1.5 for much more room.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Mbnut wrote:With Bob on this one... Trekkertent, go to the 1.5 for much more room.

I may be a little daft here, I can't see a "1.5" option?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Escape Goat wrote:
Mbnut wrote:With Bob on this one... Trekkertent, go to the 1.5 for much more room.

It's not listed on the Stealth One page but here - http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17 ... nt-15.html
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Confusion reigns :wink: The shelter you're looking at is a Six Moon Design Skyscape Trekker / Scout. There's no option on sizing, simply the two options mentioned earlier which are materials thus shelter weight ... with me? Mbnut is referring to a Trekkertent Stealth which comes in three different size options ... it's a comletely different tent from a different manufactuter and nothing at all to do with the SMD Skyscape. :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

whitestone wrote:
Escape Goat wrote:

It's not listed on the Stealth One page but here - http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17 ... nt-15.html

Ooooh not the SMD Trekker, Trekkingtent....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, a different thing entirely :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
No, a different thing entirely :wink:

A little bit more research into that one too I guess before u pull the trigger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A little bit more research into that one too I guess before u pull the trigger
https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... elter.html
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Great thrwad this EG.... So Trekkertent seems to get a thumbs up from Bob and Stu and plenty others of yhe hardened 'enduring' types. So with the poles in carbon, do we have a rough guide price and additional weight (690g being the weight of the 1.5 in silnylon 20D...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17 ... 0d_silpoly

This the one am thinking to try and save up for...
ootini

Post by ootini »

gairym wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Following Bob's link to ULOG, the SMD Skyscape might be worth a look. There's two versions, one lighter and one heavier. Both are very roomy and will feel more like a tent than a Lunar. Just remember that you'll need to add the cost of poles as they both come without.

Light: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10299

Heavier: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10300
+1 for the SMD Skyscape tents.

I've got the Scout version which is pleasantly affordable (for ultra light outdoor gear), light enough to not make me tempted to get the lighter version, has plenty of room for me (at 6' 2") and my kit and is still going strong after 6 years of use and abuse.

:-bd
I also have the scout version and love it to bits. A massive upgrade over my last tent.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So with the poles in carbon, do we have a rough guide price and additional weight (690g being the weight of the 1.5 in silnylon 20D...
For a 1.5, poles would be around 130g the pair. Obviously pegs will vary.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote:http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/17 ... 0d_silpoly

This the one am thinking to try and save up for...
Nice tent. Well made. Great customer service. But....

Think about how and when you will be using it. One problem with that tent configuration is entry and egress. They are long and low, with entry through a small, low door that also has a pole sticking up through the middle. Think about getting in while you are wet, it's raining and you have muddy boots.

A tent with a side entrance, especially one that is higher, makes entry simpler. For instance, I can sit upright in my Lunar Solo with my feet in the "porch" area, remove my boots and swing my legs in.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What Colin says above is very true. Over the last 12 months I've started to make quite a few front Stealth poles that can be set in an A frame rather than the single pole. However, it does obviously increase both weight and cost.