Braunton 150

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Braunton 150

Post by sean_iow »

I only spotted that this is on next year in the 2019 What You Got Planned thread (thanks ianpv) so in case anyone else has hasn't spotted it

http://www.braunton150.org/?page_id=402

Hopefully it will go ahead next year as I really enjoyed it in 2017.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Re: Braunton 150

Post by In Reverse »

WRT weekend. Would have been game for this otherwise.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Great stuff. Not Easter this year.
Just sent in my intention to ride.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Considered it, but as I've previously finished it I think I'll just stick to my stupidly hard self-made WRT route.

It would be tempting to do it sub 24 hours at some point though.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

That would be impressive. Not completed the route but I'm a Devon local and know the terrain.
I'm thinking 36-40 hours would be realistic for me
WSC
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, it's a tough ride for sure.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd like to get under 24 hours. I got round in 26 hours 18 minutes in 2017. The weather had been very dry in the run up to the event and the going was fast. Liam Glen was first home in 18 hours 45 minutes :o

The previous year in the terrible weather Liam was also first home but it took 27 hours.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I was definitely fit enough to do it in 2017 but I was riding with a friend so the pace was pretty sedate for me.

(That was the year I was freaking people out by doing hill repeats :lol: )
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just had a 'ping' moment when I realised 150miles is 240km not the 320km I was thinking :roll:
24hours in favourable conditions and some training seems a good target. Certainly sub 30 hours.
Did this years BB200 in 22hrs or so with storm Callum for company and no meaningful training or long rides even since early summer.
Game on.
WSC
liamg

Post by liamg »

sean_iow wrote:The previous year in the terrible weather Liam was also first home but it took 27 hours.
That did include a very leisurely 6 hour sleep though!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is this as tough as the BB routes that Stu normally concocts... if so it might be a bit much for my feeble self but if its alot easier then might consider attempting. Any thoughts/descriptions of the route would be appreciated
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote:Is this as tough as the BB routes that Stu normally concocts... if so it might be a bit much for my feeble self but if its alot easier then might consider attempting. Any thoughts/descriptions of the route would be appreciated
Little or no hike-a-bike. I attempted it on the first group start but the storm beat me and I scratched at Combe Martin about 30km from the finish. It had been dry that year until the weekend of the ride, some of the lower lying bridleways might be interesting after prolonged rain. A little bit harder than the Trans-Cambrian or YD200 would be my take on it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve not ridden the whole route but it’s very tough terrain, I’ve done about 30miles of it around dunkery beacon, makes mid Wales seem flat.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote: Little or no hike-a-bike.... would be my take on it.

My take on riding on Exmoor is that most people in normal (think gloopy) ground conditions will find it tough.
Lots of steep hills, some going above 500m, ground surface often tussocks Interspersed with bog, paths often poorly defined.
There is of course a good measure of hard surface fast riding trackswith amazing views of moor and sea.
I'd be amazed if anyone rode 240km in this area and did not push/carry more than just a bit.
I live inbetween Dartmoor and Exmoor and love them both. However,when the wind is blowing, you are up to your axles in mud and barely averaging 5km/h in horizontal rain I have trouble remembering that sometimes.
WSC
Lump

Post by Lump »

Im in again, still to finish one. Ill keep banging my head at it :grin:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

redefined_cycles wrote:Is this as tough as the BB routes that Stu normally concocts...
After beating myself up for a couple of years now that I haven't finished this route, speaking with Rob and Rich over lunch on TNR, they both said it's one of the toughest rides they've done and that I should relax a bit. 'Tis very nice though. Having done it in terrible conditions and then really good conditions, I can say it's much nicer dry and that the descent off Dunkery Beacon is much easier in the daylight.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That said...the descent is great fun when you can barely see it and you're been smashed all over the place by big old rocks.

Just a different type of fun. :lol:
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Pencilled this one in the diary for next year. Had considered it last year before it got cancelled. Sounds like it will be a good challenge.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Rufus is doing it with me in January
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

January? Oof. That'll be tough :shock: .

Both times I've done it I had a decent sleep and did it in under 30 hours. It's a lot of short steep climbs that grind you down, but is good fun. Sub 24 very doable by a mortal (you don't have to be Liam!) if conditions are good and you press on through the night. My moving time was 19 hours last year and 21.5 hours in the storm the year before. I may go light this year and try that if I'm fit enough by May.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It`s good that the date has been moved a month or so later in the year.
I rode it as an ITT at the end of May 2017 , there was plenty of daylight then, it would have been a shame to had ridden a lot of it in the dark and miss the stunning views of the North Devon coast.
The route down from Dunkery beacon was in the daylight too :-bd
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

I need to make a space in my calendar for this ride. A perfect UK ride prior to the Veneto Trail.