Highland Trail 2019

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Highland Trail 2019

Post by sean_iow »

In my email last year I linked to the rides I'd done which I thought showed I was capable of making it round, these were the Braunton 150, BB200 and also a SDW double from home which I rode early Nov just to show I could look after myself on a multi-day ride (it was 270 miles over 3 days / 2 nights).

I also put some details about myself, age, how long I'd been riding for and how long I'd been into bikepacking.

I don't think there's a set in stone list of qualifying events, you just need to show Alan that you're made of the right stuff. He needs to make sure the people he selects are likely to turn up, otherwise the place could have gone to someone who would, and that you'll give it your best to get round and won't require rescuing, a rider being airlifted out by the coastguard helicopter because they got lost or ran out of food and couldn't be bothered to keep going so pressed the sos on the spot isn't the sort of publicity he wants.

Last year I think there were 14 places for UK male rookies after the veterans/women/ overseas has been put on the list and over 70 on the reserve list. I wrote my application to sell myself and try and stand out from the crowd.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I can only see what happens I guess! Didn't know it was like a job application. :P
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rich, Alan does frequent this forum occassionally, and has done a few BB200's, so he will know the names etc of people who can and people who can't.

Not sure when he will let people know if they are in or not, but if you are not lucky, do the route as an ITT - either race it (you do find out what you are made of!), or tour it - there is something to be said for taking your time with the HT as it is a fntastic route.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Could all be irrelevant, as I'm waiting on the doctor to work out what the hell is wrong with me since I was ill (heart rate still going insane any time I try to do anything).

But it would be nice to look forward to a challenge if I can get better.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

First things first new here so hello everyone and thanks for all the great advice and tips that keep on coming .

A mate and me did the route last year in touring mode absolutely amazing experience we only had one deadline which was to get back for the mass start which we did about 10 on the Thursday evening . Spent the next day on the campsite eating drinking and watching everyone getting bikes packed while we unpacked met a lot of great people some from here . Will definitely be doing it again though I doubt the weather will be as good again just missed the heat the main group got to enjoy !
psling

Post by psling »

Raggedstone wrote:First things first new here so hello everyone
Waves :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Raggedstone wrote:.... met a lot of great people some from here
Welcome :smile: I think I chatted to you by your van on the Friday morning?
postierich

Post by postierich »

Damn was out riding my bike :-(
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Entries are open until next Saturday Rich and it's not first come first served, selected based on criteria.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Good luck to you all.

Tom and I are giving it a miss this year as we've got something different planned for that week (with an extra 10,000 metres of climbing) :grin:
Mart

Post by Mart »

I'm going to have another go (ITT), setting off before the main event
If I can knock a day off my planned schedule (slow) then I will get to see the Grand Depart :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Entry list sent out today, lots of vets and a fair few new folk
Looks like it will be the usual mad dash at the sharp end.....
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

See you there Phil :smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

No email that I can see. I assume I'm not in then.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Important info: I was told today the Whistlestop cafe has now closed. Apparently the owner of the building has another use for it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote:Important info: I was told today the Whistlestop cafe has now closed. Apparently the owner of the building has another use for it.
That's a shame as it was a good spot and the folk running it were keen supporters of the HT. Just have to go to the pub then! (The other café is a bit errrr, rubbish..)
Entry list up - http://highlandtrail.net/startlist.html
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Important info: I was told today the Whistlestop cafe has now closed. Apparently the owner of the building has another use for it.
That's a shame as it was a good spot and the folk running it were keen supporters of the HT. Just have to go to the pub then! (The other café is a bit errrr, rubbish..)
Entry list up - http://highlandtrail.net/startlist.html
There’s always the Kinlochewe shop. I remember looking hopefully for a USB battery there and finding a camcorder tape and an Ever Ready bike light. They did have a nice selection of pastries though...
postierich

Post by postierich »

Boo thats pants but that might help my times as I wasted a lot of time waiting for a fry up :-)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shock:
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

postierich wrote:Boo thats pants but that might help my times as I wasted a lot of time waiting for a fry up :-)
Agree the service wasn't the fastest but I enjoyed the wait
it was blowing a hoolie that morning and we were soaked from the night before and had a crap sleep in the public loo's
waiting and sitting by the fire drying out was bliss
2924 miles per Gallon
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Out of interest... anyone know how long after / before the group start would be acceptable to do a solo run?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Depends how fast you are going to be :grin:

I reckon your goal should be to not "interfere" with the group (eg taking a space in a bivvy). Assume the fast folk get round in 4 days and the slowest in 8.

So, if you're doing it in 8, leave 4 days before and 1 day after. If you're doing it in 4, leave 1 day before(maybe another 1-2 for contingency) and 4 days after.

Just an opinion of course. There's nothing to stop you setting off when you want and bivvies etc are available to the general public throughout the period of the event.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Makes sense. Is just an idea at this point, mostly because I'd quite like to go up anyway and see everyone.

The reason I ask what's acceptable is that I would like to do a group start one day!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As Colin says, it's a case of keeping away from the group start, those who head out earlier often start the weekend before so that they can hopefully be back in Tyndrum to watch the group start set off.

Some of the bothies (official and otherwise) are pretty small: The Teahouse after Kinlochewe is probably 3 at a squeeze for example
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd be carrying a tent anyway, so that wouldn't be of any concern. :)