Changing tyre woes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Changing tyre woes

Post by PaulB2 »

Is there a knack to getting wtb tyres off wtb rims? I tried for half an hour and couldn't get the bead to separate from the rim enough for me to get a tyre lever in. Luckily I was only two miles from a bike shop so it wasn't a total disaster
In Reverse

Re: Changing tyre woes

Post by In Reverse »

They do sit very tight tbf.

I lay the wheel down flat, stand on the tyre, with the insteps of both feet about a third of the circumference apart, then grip the wheel by as many spokes as I can get my fingers round and pull it upwards. Works every time.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Wheel on floor feet on tyres and fingers behind the bead on the downward facing side ,and repeat opposite side to get both beads into the well in center of rim otherwise you'll still struggle to get the bead off the rim ,or buy a climbing finger board and build up terminator type strength in your fingers :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

middleagedmadness wrote:Wheel on floor feet on tyres and fingers behind the bead on the downward facing side ,and repeat opposite side to get both beads into the well in center of rim otherwise you'll still struggle to get the bead off the rim ,or buy a climbing finger board and build up terminator type strength in your fingers :lol:
Strength isn't really my forté :mrgreen:

Standing on stuff though, I can do. The bike shop did it in 10 seconds which was a tad embarassing.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

WTB mtb tires are a ballache dont feel bad about it.

Ive got some vigilantes on some old DT 5.1s ..... i have to use the Park MX tyre levers to get them on and off..... I run backer rod in them to ensure i can get back to the car iwthout removing them if the tubeless fails.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Never had a problem with wtb's (compared to the back tyre on my Suzuki drz any way :???: ). Break the bead all the way round, shove it right down into the well of the rim all the way round, in goes the tyre lever and out pops the bead nay bother
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

the meer fact i have to use tyre levers means they are hard work.

We used to take comp 24s off 321s by hand.

WTB and DT swiss is a bitch of a combo certainly not one i fancy field servicing.- randomly the Nanos on my other bike as slack as chuff.