BB Waterproofs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mechanicaldope

BB Waterproofs

Post by mechanicaldope »

Did anyone find that their waterproofs were up to the job? Considering hitting the button on an Outdry and am curious how peoples kit performed. What kept you dry? What kept you warm?
In Reverse

Re: BB Waterproofs

Post by In Reverse »

I wore an Outdry Ex Light Shell with a merino t-shirt underneath. Added a long-sleeve merino base layer once it got dark and was then too warm if anything. T-shirt and baselayer stayed dry all ride though so a big thumbs up for the jacket. :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I didn't bring my outdry. I would have been way too hot.

Endura MT500 started to let water through at about the 30 hour mark. This was only where my camelbak strap had been rubbing across my chest, so I can't really complain too much.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Endura MT500 jacket for me. Some damp early on due to sweat and then some water ingress around the neck area due to the driving rain. Apart from that it was fine.

Underneath I had a vest with BB jersey and On-One arm warmers. The only times I got cold were during the night when I stopped for any length of time. Legs were Red&White bib shorts with a set of baggies over the top of those to handle the rain.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I had a brand new pair of Madison waterproof trousers with zip off legs to make them shorts. Didn't bother funnily enough. :lol: They seemed to work as well as anything could be expected to given the conditions. Very pleased with them.

On top I had my venerable Helly Hansen Gore Active jacket. It blotted it's copy book as the zip broke before I'd got as far at Ponterwyd. Time for a new one I think. I consider it my "new" jacket as I bought it as I forgot to take a jacket with me on a trip once, that was however 9 years ago I think. Remarkable.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Oh, and my alpkit trousers were excellent on the whole. Zero complaints for them.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

45 north Japanther boots were great, I got wet feet once or twice :grin: But once wet the boots acted like a wetsuit and my feet remained warm.
+1 on the Alpkit trousers, I don`t think many waterproof trousers work too well when up to your waist in rivers but was pleased to be wearing them.
My very old Endura jacket leaked quite a bit though.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Alpkit Gravitas jacket was ok. Not waterproof, but was a windproof layer so I stayed warm.

Endura waterproof shorts were ok also. Wet undershorts but they dried out in the pub......

Wore a couple of base layers and arm warmers, which for me were perfect, but I don't suffer with the cold unless I am hungry.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Rich - why do you find the outdry hotter than the MT500?

Does your outdry have pitzips?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

It doesn't seem to breathe anywhere near as well as the MT500... and I run very hot.

It does have pit zips, but they're not much use when you're trundling up a hill.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ah ok, so it's more about breathability than heat (I see them as a different things, though linked)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The Eco Tech Outdry seemed to keep water out...but I'm like RG and run hot...so it was dripping from the sleeves with my sweat. It worked very well at keeping the wind out. I ran a Vulpine base layer and BB jersey under the jacket and was warm until stopped. My ancient MT500 3/4 shorts showed their age....wet through before I reached the mountain road from the door at the Star on Sat. morning. Time for me to invest in some new ones I'd say.

Greetz

S.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My Paramo jacket was perfect. Kept most water out and remained warm even after a dunking.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Presumably not too warm in that then Dave?

My paramo survived my wettest ever weekend and did a sterling job
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

benp1 wrote:Presumably not too warm in that then Dave?

My paramo survived my wettest ever weekend and did a sterling job
Just about right given the wind.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Endura FS260-Pro — my old one, which I keep for off-road, before they restyled it as a "race cape" — was too warm from the start and I swapped it for a semi-waterproof gilet after 3km. I got wet, but like others I run hot, so it didn't really affect me. I swapped back to the Endura in the Valley Of The Headwind (Hyddgen) and stayed in it right through to the final climbs in Hafren in the morning, when I started to overheat again.

I was snug and warm most of the time, and certainly dry — usually I get damp arms from sweat in the Endura, but then usually I ride on the road at a higher pace, so it was nice to just be dry :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote: My paramo survived my wettest ever weekend and did a sterling job
I remember that, of it's the one i I'm thinking of!
I'm a big Paramo fan, but it's but for everyone.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Zippy wrote:
benp1 wrote: My paramo survived my wettest ever weekend and did a sterling job
I remember that, of it's the one i I'm thinking of!
I'm a big Paramo fan, but it's but for everyone.
That’s the weekend! I honestly can’t imagine the BB200 weather being worse than that, especially for that length of time. But I wasn’t there so can’t confirm it. Still enjoyed the trip though