Pro roadies do bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Pro roadies do bikepacking

Post by Richard G »

htrider wrote:Out and out fitness is (I reckon) only a small part of being able to do a fast ITT. Tolerating lack of sleep will be more important, as will being able to deal with a range of weather conditions and still be able to function.

Being able to ford waste deep rivers without crying is quite important to :mrgreen:
Probably OK if you cry a bit. I was definitely there at points this weekend. :???:
jameso

Post by jameso »

...being able to deal with a range of weather conditions and still be able to function.
I expect a pro rider with good experience of the classics has this ability : )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Generally being a professional sportsman means you benefit from being able to rest properly after training. Pro cyclists rarely "just go out for a ride" - every ride has a purpose, hence few or no grey/junk miles.

As for routes/events being "hard", I think that it's usually your state of mind and how you approach them that's key.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

In fairness though Bob, we're not all hard bastards like you / your better half. :wink:
Javi

Post by Javi »

Lee Craigie was a pro/elite athlete for Scotland, and she's an excellent bikepacker. I don't see anything wrong with being a pro rider who happens to like going on bikepacking adventures or a bit of long distance racing. Obviously, having those big engines and being surrounded by such different environment which is racing, sponsorship, tailored training, doctors, nutritionists, antidoping tests, etc... they don't have the time to focus on bikepacking racing.

I'm nort worried and don't mind. If I'm not happy I'll move on
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:In fairness though Bob, we're not all hard bastards like you / your better half. :wink:
I can wimp it like the best of them :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't believe that a pro roadies fitness couldn't be easily adapted to something like the TD. Whether they were any good at it would likely come down to their individual character rather than their previous cycling life.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agreed Stu.

To paraphrase someone else "it doesn't matter a moment if you can't deal with the moment"

Mental fortitude is very much under appreciated as it's not something you can bottle up and buy.

FWIW, I welcome our pro-roadie brethren to our little world. It's just riding bikes in the end of the day.