Old(ish) Fargo tyre width

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Old(ish) Fargo tyre width

Post by lune ranger »

I'm getting an older Fargo frame from a mate. 2015 or 2016 Green.
If it can take a 2.4" 29er tyre how wide a rim have folk managed to run. I want to go as big as possible without going to 650+
Also what kind of pressure can you run a 29 x 2.4 at tubeless. I know that's a piece of string question but what do you run at with such a setup.
Ta
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Re: Old(ish) Fargo tyre width

Post by BigdummySteve »

Mine ( a 2017) has massive clearance on 2.4’s with the alternator dropouts back, in fact it’s rated for 3”.

If it has alternator dropouts you’d be fine.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

2015 has loads of room. Easy 3 inch front on the Firestarter looking a bit crowded at the back though but could easily take an increase on the 2.35 that's there at present.
If you google up your exact model you should be able to find the Salsa archive.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Growler

Post by Growler »

I have the older version, roughly 2011-ish and run a 2.4 Conti on a Surly 29+ rim (50mm) out back and a 3.0 Knard up front with plenty of room for slop shat. :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Also what kind of pressure can you run a 29 x 2.4 at tubeless. I know that's a piece of string question but what do you run at with such a setup.
Ta
I use 2psi per stone of weight + 1 as a rough rule of thumb. No idea where I picked that up but works fine for me at 10 St 10 lb with 29x2.35 at 22psi. When I check them they've often dropped to about 15psi and I've not noticed. Obviously depends on riding style, terrain etc. It's not rocky where I usually ride, but I made it round the BB300 with them at 22 with no issues.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks.
Usually have 13/15psi front/back on 29x3.
I'm a little bit heavier than you. Thanks for the info. Sound like a sensible starting point.
Probably won't go above 2.4 most times on the Fargo. Nice to know that plus rims will run ok though. That way I can stage the spending on the new bike so n+1 doesn't = divorce.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC