Problematic Garmin

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Problematic Garmin

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got an old edge 200 and while riding on the C2C over the weekend it kept going into some strange diagnostic mode where it seems to cycle through some settings screens and then I have to turn it off and on again to get it to work again. I've now just sat down to upload the last 4 days of riding and the PC isn't recognising it as a device which is annoying. I've tried a factory reset which has stopped the screen going blank when I plug it in, the device is charging off the PC so the cable should be good, my history is all still there but the PC isn't recognising it as a drive. Does anyone have any clues? Personally I think its sulking because of all the rain it's been subjected to.
slarge

Re: Problematic Garmin

Post by slarge »

Probably water is in it. Try the bag of rice trick in somewhere warm, then clean the connector or try a new cable.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I had an 800 that did that and recovered.
1. Get it dry. Rice/airing cupboard whatever.
2. Try cleaning the terminals in the USB port with wd40 and a cotton bud. The USB port is a weak link and small amounts of corrosion can confuse things.
3. Try it again. Garmin's do appear to sulk as you put it and can randomly get back into a better mood.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I eventually got it to work by booting it in mass storage mode (ie turn it off and then turn it back on again while holding the bottom left button until it starts up). I'll try cleaning the contacts before I use it next time.