DNF

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

DNF

Post by dlovett »

Wow that was a fun BB200!

Horrific weather the wind blew me off my bike twice within 200m, at approx 15km in. The first one was at speed, but no apparent damage the second one caused knee and arm injuries. At Hyddren the river was at waist deep and was very scary to cross. One wrong footstep and the consequences aren’t thinkable. This made me realise that the ride, in my opinion, was too dangerous for my liking and it was time to go home and so I picked up a road by the reservoir and rode back via Tal-Y-Bon, then Mac and got back to the school at 6pm. 89km in 9 hours thanks to the wind.

It’s a good job I did, as by Newbury my knee had bled through my jeans and by the time I was home I could hardly get out of the car. Still last nice a nurse covered my leg in iodine (ouch) and sorted it our with three stiches I I am currently hobbling round the house on a walking stick.

Thanks again to Stu for organising everything apart for the weather!
Last edited by dlovett on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dyffers

Re: DNF

Post by Dyffers »

Agree the Hyddgen river crossing was exciting.

I was also DNF on the 300. I reckon I could ride a 200 in that weather or the 300 in better weather but not 300 in that. Endless type 3 fun! Snapping my chain for a second time at the Nant y Moch reservoir road almost came as a blessing, and I soft pedalled my way back to HQ via Talybont and Mach (not over the mountain road!). There was a surprisingly large number of others DNFing when I arrived.

Disappointed at my first BB DNF, but no regrets after an evening of consideration. Fair play to those still out there.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Weather has generally been kind for BB rides over the years so unlucky this year. Good to see people making sensible decisions but always disappointing to DNF.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I went in the water at Hyddgen one of my worst moments ever cycling. Just after the footbridge on the second river crossing. I crossed with Andy L and we could see the water was bad. We were holding bikes above water as it was so fast flowing. I heard him say "this is fucking dodgy Dave", then my rear wheel got clipped taken me and the bike in. I was pinned underneath it but fortunately close to the other side. Andy was able to ditch his bike and pull me out. I can't contemplate what would have happened if he wasn't there.

After that the wind really did for me and by Nant-y-Arian I realised that the 300 badge was already out of reach. So thought I'd take the easy option of the road home. Lol. It was fine until Mach but the climb up to Staylittle was just horrendous. The wind was so high I couldn't ride at all as was being blown all over the road. Jase drove past me near the top and offered a lift which I stupidly declined. Made it back somewhere near 4pm, my first BB100 ;-)

Absolute respect to those still out there. It was truly horrible and this year can do one as every bike packing event I've done has coincided with a named storm.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

By christ that sounds horrendous!
Bikepacking should be fun not a risk to life!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I was a DNS, drove up from London the night before, stayed in an airbnb and after looking at the worsening weather forecast made the decision at 7am to head home.

All the way home, I was questioning my decision, but for me it was the right call.
May satan walk with you
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I had been wondering when I saw about flooding in Wales on the news :shock:

Hope people are generally OK and just had a tough time and no serious outcomes, other than that stitched up knee :cry:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I decided to knock it on the head at 20 miles. I think the seed was sown arriving at the first water crossing, which is described as a ford. Dice with death would be the accurate description! I have never know wind like it, blowing me and bike over, forcing me to a standstill and also acting like a turbo boost pushing me uphill and sideways too. Came back the way I had gone out which took 9 hours in total. Definitely the right decision for me. Disappointing, but right. I take my hat off and have the utmost respect for anyone that finished their chosen route.

Si
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

still at least we didn't get shot at like this poor sod.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45855897
techno

Post by techno »

I scratched at about 70 km after the hellish push up to the windfarm. Legs were not up to any more so after a tussocky bpush along a "bridleway" I caught some forestry tracks to the A44 and a 40ish km ride back with a tail wind most of the way back, bliss!
Then the kindly caretaker opened up the school hall for me to kip in, thank you that man!
Made for a more comfy kip than the mini.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

techno mail wrote:I scratched at about 70 km after the hellish push up to the windfarm. Legs were not up to any more so after a tussocky bpush along a "bridleway" I caught some forestry tracks to the A44 and a 40ish km ride back with a tail wind most of the way back, bliss!
Then the kindly caretaker opened up the school hall for me to kip in, thank you that man!
Made for a more comfy kip than the mini.
Good to hear you got back techno, I thought you may have taken a better route than me up that monster push up to the wind farm.

I made Llangurig and called it a day/night from there.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I DQ'd myself after not doing the Aberhosen torrent crossing. Well done to anyone who made it across that...that made the Hydggen crossing later on look tame. Rode on to Pont-erwyd and recovered in the GB. Nice ride back today...Nant Syddion, slate chute, left at the top down the Roman Road, Sweet Lamb.

Can someone please tell me what the record is for the Hafren Rolling Challenge? Nigel might have snatched that today if he'd turned left down the rocks before the bridge.

Greetz

S.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I was a DNF on the 300, swapped to the 200 and got a blue badge.
Garmin is playing silly buggers; not sure if weather related or a recent firmware update.
Seven punctures. Tubeless for next year.
Had overshoes, threw them in a bin.
Weather was “interesting”.
Bacon rolls were excellent, will bring chilli sauce next year.
techno

Post by techno »

Jurassic pusher wrote:Good to hear you got back techno, I thought you may have taken a better route than me up that monster push up to the wind farm.

I made Llangurig and called it a day/night from there.
Thanks, I overestimated my fitness, all the pushing took it out of my legs.
Also good to hear you got out alive :lol:
TraversBikes

Post by TraversBikes »

I got to the pub at about 115km in and had to DNF because my GPS died. Great event, thanks to Stuart and Dee for putting it on. The push up to the wind turbines and some of the river crossing will haunt my nightmares for years to come!

The only other time I have ridden the BB200 was back in 2014! I think I might be cursed!
Travers Bikes.com
gairym

Post by gairym »

TraversBikes wrote:The only other time I have ridden the BB200 was back in 2014! I think I might be cursed!
Thanks for that Michael, I'll be sure to double check if you're planning to ride before entering next years event :-bd
TraversBikes

Post by TraversBikes »

gairym wrote:
TraversBikes wrote:The only other time I have ridden the BB200 was back in 2014! I think I might be cursed!
Thanks for that Michael, I'll be sure to double check if you're planning to ride before entering next years event :-bd
My obvious reaction driving back yesterday was "What a stupid idea, I am never doing that again" this morning I am already planning a few tweaks to my kit for next year. You have been warned! :smile:
Travers Bikes.com
gairym

Post by gairym »

I totally get it, I've been watching the mayhem unfold with half relief and half insane jealousy.

We're not the brightest bunch are we?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

gairym wrote:I totally get it, I've been watching the mayhem unfold with half relief and half insane jealousy.

We're not the brightest bunch are we?
Narp!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Yesterday I posted that I thought one orange badge is enough for anyone, this morning as we pack up at the accommodation we've stayed in and get ready to leave I'm about to write "see you same time next year" in the visitors book :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Decided to scratch at about 100km after kitfail 4 and looped back to Elan towards Rhayader. I was *just* about keeping pace for 36hrs 300 at that point but I knew that having a snooze/puncture/etc would put me over the edge!

Kitfail 1. Think I clobbered my mech on the rocky descent at 18km or so in, chain went over the cassette and jammed in the spokes on the steep climb afterwards.

Kitfail 2. Zip broke on jacket, stapled it shut at the petrol station

Kitfail 3. Wore a hole in my neoprene gloves.

Kitfail 4. Lights. Six-pack went on the blink (literally), fell back on diablo but the aux battery pack stopped charging it. Rode on until it went flat. It'd only charge if I held the battery in *just so*. Rode 20km or so to Rhayader using my exposure flash as primary light source. I got there in time for the pubs kicking out so I rode onto Gilfach nature reserve and bivvied in a viewing area.

I bumped into Rob MacIntyre on the return leg to HQ, it was nice to have a chat making the ride of shame much more pleasant! :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

sean_iow wrote:Yesterday I posted that I thought one orange badge is enough for anyone, this morning as we pack up at the accommodation we've stayed in and get ready to leave I'm about to write "see you same time next year" in the visitors book :lol:
:shock:
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'll be signing up for next year. I hate unfinished pointless challenges hanging over me, and I have no imagination to create something this nasty myself. :roll:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Let me add some to Jonnys list:-

Kitfail 5: Garmin Oregon froze after 2km leaving track on screen. I could see Karl's lights ahead of me for a while and then they were gone. At first I berated my legs but then after a while thought "wasn't I supposed to turn off somewhere?". The GPS went into an endless cycle of reset then crash. Changing the batteries sorted it and I had a nice ride of shame back down from Pennant

Kitfail 6: Glasses in all that rain. I needed a radar at times

Kitfail 7: The drybag holding my sleeping bag failed at some point, probably in the river. Unpacking at home the bag was soaked through. I'd ahve had a mare trying to sleep in that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Further kit fails...

Kitfail 8: Viscacha internal compression strap - managed to rip the top section out.

Kitfail 9: Viscacha - after 4 years and numerous reproofings, it let in far too much moisture.

Kitfail 10: Sea to Summit dry bags - like feck they are...ended up drying out the foot of my sleeping bag at the pub. Should be rebadged "mostly dry bags".

Greetz

S.