DNF

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: DNF

Post by whitestone »

Dave - my sleeping bag had some damp areas when I got it out of the bag back at the centre. There may be some small abrasion holes in the dry bag (Wildcat tapered bag), they are lightweight so aren't going to last forever and mine's a few years old. Given the forecast I probably should have wrapped the bag in a further plastic bag just to be sure.

Generally (anecdotally) there seemed to be a large number of GPS and light failures.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Deffo back next year. Weather can't be that bad twice :o But just in case I'll add Speedo's and beach shoes to my pack list :lol:
Only problem is now I've got a Black Badge, do I do the 300 next...?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

My black badge is getting pretty old...perhaps I need to make sure I'm still up to it next year before another crack at the 300. :|
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Asposium wrote:Seven punctures. Tubeless for next year.
It was good to ride with you for a bit, David, right up until you got your third puncture — there must be something stuck in your tyre, because we were on a smooth-ish windfarm road at the time, ISTR. I got just the one puncture that I know about — hawthorn trimming. Pulled it out and Stan's had it sealed in a second or two — for off-road I'm a tubeless convert :-bd
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Dave Barter wrote:Kitfail 6: Glasses in all that rain. I needed a radar at times.
I treat my cycling glasses and Garmin screen with RainEx — the rain bubbles up and rolls off, especially if there's a headwind of any sort. Not so good in mizzle, but brilliant in proper rain. Just wipe clean every 50km or so to remove dirt and reset back to clear :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

Wilkyboy wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:Kitfail 6: Glasses in all that rain. I needed a radar at times.
I treat my cycling glasses and Garmin screen with RainEx — the rain bubbles up and rolls off, especially if there's a headwind of any sort. Not so good in mizzle, but brilliant in proper rain. Just wipe clean every 50km or so to remove dirt and reset back to clear :-bd
I'll try this in future, thanks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Buy that man a beer, what a grear idea. I'd of never thought to use my rain X on my glasses!! I will now though
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Mike wrote:Buy that man a beer, what a grear idea. I'd of never thought to use my rain X on my glasses!! I will now though
+1 I had the same problem. Blurry glasses or mud in my eyes. Going to try this stuff!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My dry bag also failed me. Not massively surprised as it was an ultralight job.
Ned Kelly

Post by Ned Kelly »

Sadly sacked it on Saturday evening when reaching the George Borrow Hotel, after somehow killing my charger bank. Only my third bikepacking outing but certainly learnt more on Saturday than I did on my other outings together!
1. A sleeping bag stuffed in a waterproof bivi bag then stuffed in a waterproof saddle bag, ain't bloody waterproof!
2. Make sure I've got decent power back up, then back up for that.

I must say though, besides that, what a great time! I met some great people, it was a good laugh at the George Borrow. The owners and staff at the hotel were absolute LEGENDS...They did everything they could to help us out and allowed us to set up camp in their lounge...that place must have stank on Sunday morning.

I loved what I saw of the route, what an amazing wilderness Mid Wales is.

I can't be beaten by it! I fully intend on going back to start and finish the route...perhaps in the spring when the sun comes out!!!