Outdoor qualifications

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Outdoor qualifications

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ok, so way OT (or maybe not!).

Looking into the Mountains leadership course at PyB, anyone done such a course?

Thinking of doing the training early next year and then ‘bagging enough’ hill days to do the assessment at a later date.

Anyone done the course (not just at PyB) and then used it to get payed guiding afterwards? Currently don’t want to make a living out of it but perhaps subsidising a hobby on my days off.

Obviously can bulk it up with some bike qualifications too in the future

Cheers
Al

Re: Outdoor qualifications

Post by Al »

I did my ML training and assessment at pyb. Couldn’t recommend them enough.

I use it for taking groups of kids to wales and mainly for running / assessing d of e groups.

Found it very satisfying to do but you need to bare in mind their are a lot of walks need to be logged as part of the process - it’s quite a time commitment if you don’t live near suitable mountains or have a young family.

Not used it really for paid guiding so can’t help you much with that aspect I’m aftaid.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Haven't done any ml courses there but did my kayak training and took the kids on a few climbing courses there ,can't say enough good things about the instruction and the way they put it across to you ,plus the beer in the bar is really good ,feeding time is like being back at school every one in a big hall on bench seats , brilliant place
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Cheers :-bd

Have been to PyB before, so know what to expect :grin:

Will certainly do the training side, can't harm to gain more experience in navigation and the 'art of travelling through mountains'

The time commitment will hopefully become easier as mini-voodoo has just started school and the hills are within an hour or so drive, so will become 'doable' to get the hill days in

Thnaks
psling

Post by psling »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Anyone done the course (not just at PyB) and then used it to get payed guiding afterwards? Currently don’t want to make a living out of it but perhaps subsidising a hobby on my days off.

Obviously can bulk it up with some bike qualifications too in the future

Cheers
It's a very worthwhile course for anyone regularly enjoying outdoor pursuits of any kind and can, in my opinion, add to the enjoyment of those hobbies. But... you won't make a living out of guiding alone. As extra pocket money it certainly can work but one thing to remember is that the moment you turn your 'days off' into work days (and work days is what they will be once the novelty has worn off) then they are no longer 'days off'! It is a good qualification to pursue a career in any role involving outdoor activities though.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.