pannier rack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

musomaniac

pannier rack

Post by musomaniac »

hi everyone , just found this forum , and as i'm totally new to bikepacking i have a few questions lol

the bike i would like to use is my giant defy adv pro 2 disc , but i can't seem to find a suitable rack which would fit it for panniers , would anyone know if there is indeed such a rack to fit this bike , its also all carbon .

if there is nothing suitable pannier wise , what else would you recommend for stowage , my tent is a vango chinook 2 man which i expect isn't the lightest at 3.7kg , so that was one of the reasons i was looking at panniers , where i would be able to lie the tent across the top or between the panniers .

my only other bike is a full blown racing bike , and i can't afford a one thats bikepacking specific

i would really like to give this a go but i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment

appreciate any help you can give me
whitestone

Re: pannier rack

Post by whitestone »

The potential problem is the carbon frame of your bike. While it should be OK, it's not really designed to have point loads where you'd fit a pannier rack especially when bouncing around off-road.

One option might be something like the Arkel Radonneur - https://www.ghyllside.co.uk/arkel-rando ... 5-M55NKjwM My wife uses one on her fat bike as the doesn't have enough room to use a bikepacking style saddle bag.

A second option would be to split the tent up and have it in different places on the bike: poles across the front of the handlebars, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you any rack eyelets either on the forks or frame? If not, then I'd steer well clear of using a rack (more so than usual) as whatever you use to fit a rack won't be brilliant and will always be something of a bodge.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As above.
Look at ways of reducing the bulk of your gear and getting the largest set of bikepacking bags you can fit.
It needn't mean spending ridiculous amounts of money.
Racks are harder and harder to mount now on bikes with no eyelets or canti bosses.
I have no experience of it myself but I've seen a few threads on here of broken carbon frames from attaching things like racks, mudguards even! And manufacturers don't honour guarantees in these circumstances
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
benp1

Post by benp1 »

presumably it's for on the road touring/bikepacking. in which case you'd surely be fine with a rack that uses the rear QR?

you can get a seat post clamp that has the rack mounts built into it. the ally defy is pannier compatible

Alternatively, you could pop a carradice something on your seat
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

thanks for the info , yes benp1 it's road touring , where would I get the seatpòst clamp with rack mounts built in from
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

and what rack would fit the seat post mount and attach to the QR .....sorry for all the questions
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

where would I get the seatpòst clamp with rack mounts built in from
Salsa do a nice one.
and what rack would fit the seat post mount and attach to the QR
Have a look at Old Man Mountain racks. http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

would this fit Topeak Super Tourist DX F/Disc Rack
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... d|538428UK
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

also the seat post on my giant defy is not totally round it has a flat on the back
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Probably although most racks require a little bit of 'fitting' in order to get them on and secure.
also the seat post on my giant defy is not totally round it has a flat on the back
Is the outside of the seat tube round? That's what matters with regard to fitting a new post clamp.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Is the outside of the seat tube round? That's what matters with regard to fitting a new post clamp.
Not on the Defy's.
Plus top of the seat tube isnt square either
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

just found this for the giants D-post

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant ... eat-collar
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just the job :-bd
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

just need an appropriate rack now to go with the d-post collar ??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's wrong with the one you posted earlier from CRC?
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

hopefully nothing , but i'd have to make sure it would actually fit before i shelled out on it , would be idel if a bike shop local to me sold them , i'll have to try and find out
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you find it doesn't fit I'm sure you could return it ... however, sometimes it can be difficult to know until you actually try and with racks, trying may involve a little bending of brackets.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Looks like you've found the right clamp. They made that clamp to let the defy be fitted with a rack
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

yep just wish i could source a giant defy specific rack , you'd think if they made the seatpost clamp they'd make a rack to go with it :grin:
psling

Post by psling »

musomaniac wrote:yep just wish i could source a giant defy specific rack , you'd think if they made the seatpost clamp they'd make a rack to go with it :grin:
Well, if you click on 'Racks & Mounts' on the page referred to above for the Giant Seat Collar you will find their range of racks....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

psling wrote:Well, if you click on 'Racks & Mounts' on the page referred to above for the Giant Seat Collar you will find their range of racks....
i don't think any of those will fit , for one my bike is disc , and the dropouts are recessed where the skewer ends sit , none of those rack mounting legs look as though they would fit in the recess
Last edited by musomaniac on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

i'm now wondering if this one would fit , as it keeps the panniers away from the heel of the foot on crank rotation , total minefield this rack malarkey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Axiom-Streamli ... B004094HY2
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i'm now wondering if this one would fit
It's unlikely that any rack will just bolt straight on perfectly as they're a universal item, however that also means that within reason, you can make any rack fit ... the problem is, you won't know where along that scale any rack lies until you try it.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:It's unlikely that any rack will just bolt straight on perfectly as they're a universal item...
The OP should email Giant - they actually list Racks and a Disc Rack Adaptor to be used with their own racks to fit their bikes.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.