Race around the Netherlands

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Race around the Netherlands

Post by gairym »

Off the back of the 'Around Norway' thread/event I've gone ahead and entered the Race around the Netherlands event for next May.

Anyone here do it last year?

On paper it looks very pleasant and an easy intro into stepping things up mileage-wise.

1680km with only 5000m of alt gain and a 7.5 day time limit (if you're bothered with being included in the finishers list).

Been told it's about 60% paved cycle paths and 40% quiet roads and obviously being in Holland the bike isn't a 3rd class citizen.

~600km is my previously longest trip so it'll be quite a bit longer.

The gpx track is available to download on the website (http://www.adventurebikeracing.com/ratn.html) for anyone who might fancy it as an individual trip at any point.

Be interested to hear folks thoughts on this one as it's a LOT more roadie (I'll be on my gravel bike) than my previous trips.

Should at least keep me motivated to get the miles in over the winter :-bd

Let's see.....

Cheers, Gairy.
rufus748

Re: Race around the Netherlands

Post by rufus748 »

That's a lot of money for a cap!
Was interested until I saw the price.
gairym

Post by gairym »

And accommodation at the beginning and end.
gairym

Post by gairym »

(and all the time and effort of putting a thing together, web hosting, design work and general time/effort - I don't begrudge folk getting paid for their work)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Flatterer than the Norway one, but possibly made up for in wind and an ave of 225km a day.

I'm hoping to go a for a trip there next year as a friend there has a hard tail I can loan (or a brompton :lol: ). That's the big draw, avoiding the hassle of transporting a bike, TBH its about the only draw of going there :shock: It looks incredibly built up. I won't be doing that event though.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Moder-dye wrote:Flatterer than the Norway one, but possibly made up for in wind and an ave of 225km a day.
The 7.5 days includes 10 hours of daylight on the 8th day so it's really 8 days of riding (so an average of 210km per day - easy!).
Moder-dye wrote:It looks incredibly built up. I won't be doing that event though.
I didn't get that at all from the photos and looking at the route but I suppose compared to Welsh Wales it is.

I figured I'd not get much of a positive reaction to this one but I think I have quite different desired trip criteria to most on here.

Living in an incredibly wild alpine setting I find that I'm increasingly drawn to nice, easy going, semi-rural and even urban events as it makes a nice change to feeling like Ray Mears every time I do an overnighter.

Whatever floats your packraft I suppose :-bd
Scud

Post by Scud »

I can chase you round Norfolk for half the money if you'd like?

(Kidding, event looks good)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Gairym, to be fair I was judging the 'incredibly built up' on research I'd been doing for my potential trip starting in Amsterdam, rather than photos on the website. I've not been before.

Living in Shetland most places seem incredibly built up and busy now :lol:

Depending on my knee progress I do intend go there, but committing to/being able to do that sort of mileage is doubtful.

Hope you enjoy it :-bd