Convert mechanical to hydraulic brakes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Convert mechanical to hydraulic brakes?

Post by petemaz »

Hi, Has anyone ever used something like this to convert mechanical to hydraulic disc brakes on a bike with drop bars?

https://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin ... cross.html
mechanicaldope

Re: Convert mechanical to hydraulic brakes?

Post by mechanicaldope »

I have the trp hy/rd on my CdF which appear to be a similar idea. They are OK and appear to be quite highly rated but aren't a patch on mtb deore hydraulic's.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Yeah my last MTB had basic Shimano hydraulics and were great. I'm just not happy with the BB5s I have when the going gets a bit technical, and am looking at options before autumn kicks in! The TRPs do seem to get pretty average reviews on the web, but I'll check them out, so thanks!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I tried the Juin techs, they lasted 2 weeks of summer riding before the pistons got sticky and they started not moving evenly, I insisted sending them back under warranty and got a refund. Now have spyres with sinteted pads and they are decent. Have them with silly light 160 on the cx and 180:160 standard rotors on the drop bar mtb . Spyres are the best of the mechanical ones ( throw away the pads they come with)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would it perhaps not be easier to swap to a better mechanical brake? BB5 do tend to get overwhelmed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Other thoughts...

Good quality compressionless brake cables are essential for cable disks to work right

These technical bits where you want better brakes you are in the drops yeah?

All that being said BB5 are a bit pants and annoying to adjust. Spyres are better, easy to adjust, lighter and look better. They also move both pistons which I don't think any of the other mechanical discs do.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They also move both pistons which I don't think any of the other mechanical discs do.
Gusset used to do one that did. It was a good brake but probably long gone.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have Spyres set up with Nokon cables, sinitered pads and 180/160 rotors on a CX/ adventure bike.
That gives way more braking power than I need even fully loaded in the wet.
The ones you are looking at look over complex and prone to failure. Can't see how a cable actuated hydraulic piston would work any better than a top quality full cable system.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for all the replies, it's given me more to think about. As my bike has integrated gear/brake levers, I'd rather not go to the hassle and expense of swapping out the entire setup. That's why these hydraulic 'cable pull' type looked like an option to get closer to hydraulic stopping. I'll keep looking at options, including the bb7s...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I would take Spyres (with replaced pads) over BB7s all day long :-bd
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Out of interest, what are you replacing the Spyre pads with?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

fairly sure you can get those brakes on ai express for a lot less

i have the Hy-rd on my CX bike
Superior to cable disc and inferior to true hydraulic brakes- not sure how much i would pay for the upgrade personally
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Sintered pads from disco brakes here
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

wriggles wrote:I would take Spyres (with replaced pads) over BB7s all day long :-bd
For me it would be BB7 over Spike for v-type levers and Spyre over BB5 for drops.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

petemaz wrote:Out of interest, what are you replacing the Spyre pads with?
I've found the Shimano resin pads to give best performance and quietness (albeit at the expense of longevity).
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

When set up properly, I find the Spyres provide more than enough power. As the pads wear, performance drops off a bit, but it's easily remedied using the pad adjuster screws.
Where they do lose out to full hydro systems is modulation, though this can be addressed to some degree with good quality (compressionless) cabling.
I've not tried cable actuated hydros to compare, but it seems to me that the cable part would retain the modulation of a cable system rather than a hydro?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

My Fargo arrived with Juin calipers. Initially wasn't that impressed but a bit of fiddling with adjusters seemed to get them working.
Ride and brake from the hoods no problem.
They were two years old when I got the bike and I keep meaning to swap them out for Spyres but not done it yet.
The front appears to be less powerful than the rear but actually makes the front/rear brake balance spot on.
Its probably due to crap outers and who ever built it put inline adjusters in the brakes lines despite having adjusters on the caliper.
For an inexpensive conversion I would go Spyre with new inner and outer cables.
Iica it would be interesting to strip out the Juin calipers and rebuild but lifes too short and might even shorter if I did. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I just I'd the rotor to a 180 on front of the Gryphon and I've found braking with BB7s since to be a breeze.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

So I'm now thinking upgrading to BB7s might be a better option, based on reviews and threads I've read on other sites. Maybe a cheaper option as well until I look to get a new bike with hydraulics. Am I right in thinking it would be an easy upgrade - just swap over the calipers and that's it... anyone know?
On the off chance, anyone got F&R BB7s they no longer use/want? I've seen cheapish ones on fleabay, but always a gamble!
CHEERS!
Last edited by petemaz on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmmm.

I've been pondering an "upgrade" to my Amazon that would see it go from 10-speed/BB7s to full 11-speed hydros.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

ScotRoutes wrote:Hmmm.

I've been pondering an "upgrade" to my Amazon that would see it go from 10-speed/BB7s to full 11-speed hydros.

Well let me know if you decide to proceed with the upgrade!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Juin update.
Had a close examination of the front caliper in situ and turned the piston stroke adjuster in and out to get a feel for the bite on the pad.
Interesting that I can lock the wheel with very little travel of the piston adjuster. Its almost like a micrometer adjustment with quarter turn locked quarter turn back free running.
Then had a go on the cable adjuster to balance stroke with lever pull and the front is now working better than ever - even managed to get my rear wheel an inch or so in the air using front only braking.
In terms of do they work? Yes.
CX guys seem to like them and I like then because they are silent.
Re the OP think I will keep the Juins.
Is there anything better? Probably.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.