Bikeflypackfishing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Bikeflypackfishing?

Post by TheBrownDog »

Anyone else carrying their fishing gear? I've pared down my fly kit and will strap the pole to the top tube of my OO Fatty and have bought a very nice tidy little fly box. It's just a little extra weight and the only thing I may miss is a landing net, but I'll manage.

This is urban bikepacking at its best/worst.

Plan is to ride down to Richmond Park to bivvy out after dark. I've done this a couple of times and it is quite possibly the most stressful night you can have. The place is crawling with rangers and, well, men who aren't there for the fishing, shall we say. Supposing I get through the night without incident, I'll be heading over to Syon Park about 5 miles away to wet a line. With the cooler weather and rain, I reckon the trout will be lining up to swallow a fly.

Will report back.
I'm just going outside ...
Charliecres

Re: Bikeflypackfishing?

Post by Charliecres »

Tight lines!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Stu's latest pole in MOG reminded me off a fly rod at first glance. Perhaps there is some mileage in a set of tarp poles that can be used as a fly rod or
conversely a fly rod that can hold your tarp up.
Just a thought. :ugeek:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I've got a travel rod that packs down into a short tube, so fits on the side of a bar bag, or whatever. Plenty (well several!) of places to fish for free on Dartmoor, but we always put the fish back 'cos we feel guilty eating them (and I don't want my jet boil smelling of fish when I'm knocking up my porridge and coffee in the morning). Jim in action....

ImageDartmoor Flyfishing Bivi Trip by Richard Lowerson, on Flickr
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I bought a cheapo Shakespeare 7ft rod just to strap to the bike without a case. At £35, not worried if it gets bust. The rod cases are too heavy to use.

I was planning on riding down and bivi/fly fishing in the Gorge du Verdon, France, a couple of days ago. But found out at the last minute that bikes are banned.
Hiked in the end, what a stunning day.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I do reckon it's a great way to mix two brilliant activities. In CO earlier this month, we hiked about four hours along some vaguely exciting single-track around a lake, chucking lines in every now and then, till we found a beaver dam that was filled with brownies. If we'd bikepacked in the bits between the fishing would have been fun and faster instead of a trudge, and we'd have been able to camp up at the dam. As it was, we fished for a few hours, caught breakfast, and then walked the four hours back to base. Long day.
I'm just going outside ...