Larger Frame Bag Options (Non Bespoke)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Larger Frame Bag Options (Non Bespoke)

Post by Richard G »

I realised on my trip to Spain that I'm not really a fan of the Alpkit Possum frame bag that I've currently got on my bike (it's not really wide enough / deep enough).

I had originally planned on ordering a custom job from Wildcat, but sadly they're not currently doing any custom work. Anyone got any suggestions for other options? I would have originally gone custom with someone else, but given there's only two or so weeks until TNR I'm basically out of time on the custom front.
wriggles

Re: Larger Frame Bag Options (Non Bespoke)

Post by wriggles »

What size do you need?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Good question, though hard to spell out (I guess that's why they mostly go the cardboard route for custom stuff)...

I think realistically the max length would be about 48cm, with the max drop at the seattube (so as to allow a bottle in a sideload cage) being around 12cm.

Looking at the Alpkit site, I think I have a Possum 47 (used to be the medium?). Can't fit the Possum 52 for sure as it's too long.

Edit - I guess I could also go with a shorter bag that fills the entire of the space in the front triangle past the bottle cage. Maybe ~40cm long?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Always very surprised by how much I can fit inside the Wildcat Ocelot and the Porcelain Rocket partial bags.

Also worth looking at Restrap too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I was looking at either a large wildcat ocelot or a medium revelate tangle on my Arkose - was leaning towards the wildcat because it would match (shallow, I know :grin:)
The small ortlieb framepack might work for your second scenario
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wonder if I could squish the extra 2cm out of the Ocelot Large. Looks like a good option if I could.

Edit - The nose on the Revelate Tangle looks too chunky for my frame. I'd have to go a few cm shorter I reckon.
Edit 2 - Actually, I think it's pretty much only the Ocelot that goes pointed enough at the front. Might just have to force it to work.
psling

Post by psling »

I have a Large Ocelot you are welcome to borrow for the ride / try for size. I'm near to Monmouth so not a million miles from you?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks for the offer. I might just order one anyway then if it doesn't fit I can send it back, and if it does, I'm not worried about breaking your bag! :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

No problem. It's almost a shame Ian & Beth moved from being your neighbour ! :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Restrap make great bit, but when we sold them the lead time was a bit long. Ask Neil at alpkit nicely if they can make you a custom one ASAP. The bag on the Vir Fortis is a custom one as I wanted it wider than the stock ones and with extra dividers.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

psling wrote:No problem. It's almost a shame Ian & Beth moved from being your neighbour ! :cool:
True enough!
dlovett wrote:Restrap make great bit, but when we sold them the lead time was a bit long. Ask Neil at alpkit nicely if they can make you a custom one ASAP. The bag on the Vir Fortis is a custom one as I wanted it wider than the stock ones and with extra dividers.
I considered a custom alpkit, but they don't seem to do shaping of the bag around the bottle cages like wildcat do, so it's not nearly as appealing.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

bike 24 have a sale on revelate frame bags
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sounds like sorted, but if not I have a large Ocelot I will need to sell at some point