More upright riding position

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

More upright riding position

Post by PaulB2 »

My wife had a hernia op a couple of years ago and needs a less stretched out position to make riding comfortable. She also loves her bike and doesn't want a new one so I've been given the task of seeing if there's a cheap way to make it work.

I can't find a link to her exact bike but hers is 1x9, has 26x1.5 tyres and has v-brakes but otherwise looks like: https://www.rei.com/product/715869/nova ... -bike-2005.

An expensive option would be to try the newish jones 2.5 loop bar but I was wondering if there were some cheaper options anyone could point me in the direction of.

Ta
voodoo_simon

Re: More upright riding position

Post by voodoo_simon »

Adjustable stem? One of those that can pivot? Works wonders in the bike trade :wink:

May need some longer cables but most bikes do not
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A few years ago I needed some bars to produce a position as you describe. I tried all the usual suspects but to no avail, then I stumbled upon the NC17 Trekking bar and it was as near to perfect as f*ck is to swearing. I thought they'd long since vanished but a quick search reaveals that they're still available.

https://www.bikester.co.uk/nc-17-318-tr ... 87172.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ergotec high Charisma stems are a good options. Or a mondraker Stoic On / Off stem for a really short reach
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

A higher rise bar might be enough..?

Besides changing bars, a shorter stem can make quite a difference.

I had numb fingers on long rides with a former bike with a 55 mm stem. Put on a 50 mm stem (same rise) and gone were the numb digits. 5 mm... crazy.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Thanks for the suggestions follks, I think I’ve got a plan of action, starting with the bars and then working out if I need to get a shorter, higher rise stem as well