UQ Cumulus Selva

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jBay

UQ Cumulus Selva

Post by jBay »

Anyone got any real world experience of Cumulus underquilts, looking to use with a Warbonnet XLC/I’m 6ft5

Or any other suggestions?
UK Hammock - seem to be slow/poor customer care
Warbonnet & Enlightenment Equipment look good but shipping, custom handling, import charges - we could also talk exchange rates!
DD looks like good value but heavy & large pack size, but a good way to try UQ.
dlovett

Re: UQ Cumulus Selva

Post by dlovett »

UK hammocks can sometimes have a lead time, but their quilts ar good. I've go two and I've been very pleased with them. One is a custom and I found they fine to deal with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alpkit cloud cover and a little sewing?

https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

No experience of Cumulus UQs.

I got a good deal off Warbonnet for a "seconds" UQ (for a RidgeRunner). You have to factor in shipping, risk of tax etc and they might not have any but the quality is very, very good.

I have several UGs from UKhammocks. Previous experiences were all good. However, my last order was a bit of a 'mare and comm's were poor to almost none. Might have been a once-off and if you get what you ask for then they are great value bits of kit.

I wouldn't bother with a Cloudcover from Alpkit as the XLC is a big hammock and the CC is a small quilt. Plus, if the build is like mine, they are not the most durable. Plus latest price is way over what I'd be prepared to pay.

Enlightened Equipment are reliable, great quality and easily modifiable. In fact the spec range can be a bit baffling :wink: Downsides are they're US based and so delivery. time taken and tax risk are all big factors.

If you have some sewing ability / inclination or have someone else who has then you could (I am sure have seen them tho' can't remember where) buy an unstuffed outer and then get your own down or recycle something to stuff it.

There is also the chap in NE that folks often mention though IIRC service might have had similar issues to UKHammocks - don't know - check with someone who might not just be repeating half recalled stuff off the digital rumour mill :cool:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Was the chap in the NE Scotty Von Porkchop of Ultralight Backpacking? By all accounts he makes/made very nice gear. As a result found himself with way too many orders to be able to produce and retain sanity, and ended up closing down as a result. I was one of his last customers with an order that didnt get fulfilled (though I did get a refund through etsy). There you go, first hand comments. :sad: Sad really as I'd far rather have had the quilt.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Thanks for the comments so far
Interesting that no one has a Cumulus Underquilt as a see so many positives comments about their top quilts
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've got a large sized Cumulus Selva 300. It's a decent size, easy to fit and now Ive learned to cinch it up tighter than I had been to stop the wind getting under it and robbing all the warmth, it's pretty good - very light and packs down small. Its the usual Cumulus quality too. One feature of it Ive not used are the tabs that run along the edges. Ive always presumed you loop some shock chord through these and pass it over yourself to make the thing more windproof, and will be giving that a go over the coming winter. Suspect it will become too much of a faff though.
I'm just going outside ...
jBay

Post by jBay »

TheBrownDog wrote:I've got a large sized Cumulus Selva 300. It's a decent size, easy to fit and now Ive learned to cinch it up tighter than I had been to stop the wind getting under it and robbing all the warmth, it's pretty good - very light and packs down small. Its the usual Cumulus quality too. One feature of it Ive not used are the tabs that run along the edges. Ive always presumed you loop some shock chord through these and pass it over yourself to make the thing more windproof, and will be giving that a go over the coming winter. Suspect it will become too much of a faff though.
TheBrownDog which hammock are you using it with?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

TheBrownDog which hammock are you using it with?
I've used a few and at the moment it's a large Sea to Summit Ultralight. Im 6'2" and the UQ is just long enough, and should fit your Warbonnet, but Cumulus will put some additional length onto a custom one if you think you need it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Any pics?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Any pics?
Sure