A Flat Pedals Question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pirahna

A Flat Pedals Question

Post by Pirahna »

Is anyone using something like Powergrips on a modern flat pedal?

The reason for asking is I've used clipless road pedals since the 80's and SPD's since that came out around 1990, I've a long trip planned and can't be arsed to carry a pair of camp shoes. I bought some flats earlier this year but keep lifting my foot off the pedal just about everywhere and find I'm a gear or two lower on the hills.
voodoo_simon

Re: A Flat Pedals Question

Post by voodoo_simon »

Are you pedalling with the ball over the axle or have you moved your foot forwards so that the arch is more over the axle?

To answer your question, no, not tried those (and I wouldn’t ride with toe clips)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

voodoo_simon wrote:Are you pedalling with the ball over the axle or have you moved your foot forwards so that the arch is more over the axle?

To answer your question, no, not tried those (and I wouldn’t ride with toe clips)
I've got a pair of plastic Nuke Proof pedals that were cheap but got a decent review on the Singletrack test just to try them. My foot position feels natural so I suppose it's the ball of the foot over the axle.

I've done a couple of hundred miles with them but keep going back to SPD's. I haven't used toe clips for many years and don't intend going back there.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I actually race with those nukeproof pedals. They're surprisingly good.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I used power grips on flat pedals that didn't have pins. They worked ok but not something I stayed with for long. I very much doubt they will work with pins as you need to rotate your foot quite a bit.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Do you even need camp shoes if you're using SPD?
I've done trips of up to a year and just used SPD shoes with flip flops as my only alternative.
Didn't find it a problem. Obviously you don't wanna use your carbon soled Sidi road shoes here but a more relaxed MTB shoe is perfect
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Firstly you will need to "unlearn" your clipped in bad-habits (of pulling up on the peddle with the cleat on the "up stroke") if you want to utilize flats to their best effect.

You have developed your riding technique over the last 20+ years the depends on you being able to "pull up" on the up stoke, instead of riding in circles using your foot position to keep the foot on the peddle. If you want to use less-aggressive flat peddles without the big pins (of say a Hope F20 fro example, which has large and numerous pins), then you will find your feet popping up and off the flats quite a bit as you brain "pulls up" against the SPD cleat... which you don't have any more...and foot lift results.

You need to learn to peddle in circles and not in pistons of up-down like the SPD's have taught you, time to flex those ankles and "scoop" on the peddle. SPD's allow you to get away with a number of peddling techniques, where on flats, you have less places to hide.

I now have fully converted to flats over the last 12 months, having been exactly like you (on SPD's since they came out too). I have not looked back and now "I get flat" I am quicker too.... and there is no way I am going back to cliped in riding any time too.

What I am trying to say is, you don't need straps to keep your feet on flat's - freeing you up to ride in more comfortable/versatile/lighter riding shoes (like some 5-10 access shoes which I find very good).

PS: I use Hope F20 peddles which, sometimes give too much traction and "lock" your feet into position - sounds odd for a flat peddle, other will know what I am talking about...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, you can most definitely go too far with the grip.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Simon says ... move your foot forwards so the ball of your foot is slightly forward of the axle. This won't prevent you from lifting your foot when pedalling (that'll simply come with a little time) but it will make you far more stable when descending and help prevent you foot from 'coming off' the pedal in those situations.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Thanks for the replies. I had another ride today with the flats but I'm really not getting on with them so back to the SPD's. I'll stick them in the parts bin until winter and have another go.