Cheap Passthrough Powerbank that Actually does do Passthroug

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slugwash

Cheap Passthrough Powerbank that Actually does do Passthroug

Post by slugwash »

I'm pulling a few things together for a forthcoming bikepacking excursion to Brittany to watch a bunch of drug cheats on their annual, three week race around France. I've bought a couple of powerbanks in the past that are supposed to do pass through charging, but they don't. Any recommemdations? I'm running a Shimano 6V hub dynamo and a Tigra power convertor if that's any help.

Cheers :-)
dlovett

Re: Cheap Passthrough Powerbank that Actually does do Passth

Post by dlovett »

My zendure one has been flawless in sp, son and love mud hubs. Pass through works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00YL6 ... title&th=1
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Goal Zero flip batteries have pass thru

* don’t own one, just going from goal zero’s website.

As an alternative solution; how about two smaller non pass thru batteries (such as Anker), one on charge and one in use?
Then have a backup pack and avoid the need for pass thru. What I will do when I eventually get a dynamo hub.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Cheers Guys,

actually, I've been thinking this one through a bit. My powerbanks might actually be passthrough capable, it could be the phone. On previous trips I've used either an iPhone 5s or a Galaxy 2. Both of these are sensitive to slight drops in charging voltage (like when you stop rolling, etc). This seems to cause problems with the GPS logging apps when the phone beeps to say it's stopped charging and then beeps again when you start rolling again. This means that I've only bothered charging the powerbank or camera batteries whilst cycling, and have charged the phone overnight from the powerbank. Now the 1500mAH iPhone battery is fixed and you can't expect it to have enough life to run all day logging your ride and taking selfies of myself eating croissants and drinking Oringina to tease the kids back home. The 1650 mAH Galaxy batteries were changeable, but changing the battery seem to sometimes affect the GPS logging, and you also have to keep an eye on the battery life. This has meant that I've come home with sections of my ride missing from the log.

However, my latest phone has a 4200mAH battery and can run all day, plus a bit, and it might even work with passthrough (haven't tried it yet) so now not a worry anymore. I'll just charge it from the powerbank at night.

I do seem to end up with a power debt on longer tours though. I start the ride with everything fully charged but tend to come home with a empty 10000 mAH powerbank and depleted camera and phone batteries.

Is anyone with similar power demands electric neutral on trips, or are your overall power needs greater than your generational capabilities :ugeek: