Barkley Marathons....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Barkley Marathons....

Post by Moder-dye »

My wife's just got Netflix and looking through for anything worth watching I came across a doc about the Barkley Marathons in the USA, which sounds bonkers enough to add some potential deviousness to bear bones events!

A strange application and payment process, a looped course that you do 2 loops clockwise , 2 anticlockwise and the final loops which ever way you fancy. A different, but similar route every year that is supposed to be 20miles a loop, but is generally 26. And one master map to copy the route from when you arrive. Oh, you're not told exactly when it will start, just within a 12 hour time frame, so be ready to go.

Anyone else seen it?

Any other Netflix recommendations while I'm here?
mikejd

Re: Barkley Marathons....

Post by mikejd »

There's a video somewhere of two guys doing this. They stuck together until the last lap when one of them went ahead. There is a time limit to finish, I think it is 60 hours and failure to complete in time is a DNF. The first guy made it and the second one missed by literally seconds. I think there was only one finisher that year.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh 60 hours for the full one, 30 I think for the 3 lap 'fun run'.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a1965 ... cap-video/
jameso

Post by jameso »

Brilliant film, well worth watching. Nuts in the best way.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Stu - don't do it! Naving round Wales in the pitch black is complicated enough without some sort of Benny Hill madness...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Stu - don't do it! Naving round Wales in the pitch black is complicated enough without some sort of Benny Hill madness...
Haha! You'd love it really :lol:
barney

Post by barney »

Yeah, I remember watching Barkley Marathons and thought it was great. Would really recommend it.

My mind might be playing tricks on me but isn't there some weird entry thing whereby they don't actually advertise it and you have to find out about it or something like that? (I may have dreamt that up though)
Wait for me...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh a weird thing where you pay $1.60 for the chance to enter, then some sort of questioaire, then your entry fee on the day is a number plate from 'your state' and ankther thing they choose. The year of the doc it was a plaid shirt, but has been socks and things in the past. All designed to whittle out all but those really daft enough to enter :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

A new film about one guys attempt to complete the Barkley: https://youtu.be/NDZdsqbcGTU
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks for posting this as I really enjoyed the Barkley film. Anything else on Netflix or Amazon similar?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

There's a number of videos about this lunacy...found this during a quick search...

https://vimeo.com/97270099

Greetz

S.
Ian

Post by Ian »

This is probably deserving of its own thread, but a friend brought the Marji Gessick 100 to my attention.
Perhaps heading towards Barkley Marathon territory, but on a bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LHU_tuXrbQ