Going semi-plus...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

DiscoStu

Going semi-plus...?

Post by DiscoStu »

Hi all,

I've been thinking about upping the tyre size on my bike. I've got a Whyte 629 that is very comfortable and efficient to ride - it also has absolutely loads of clearance between seat and chainstays and the current 2.25 Maxxis Crossmark fitted on 23mm WTB asymmetric rims. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 9+2017.pdf

I wondered if fitting something like a 2.6 Nobby Nic would be feasible / worth it? I have a fat bike and in terms of comfort and traction it's scores very highly, I have to admit its a little more draggy in general and on road sections though, and the general geo and style of the fatty is bit more playful rather than XC; hence for longer stuff I prefer the 29er.

I guess my questions are:
  • Does 2.6 offer enough "plusness" to give plus sized tyre benefits?
    Do you think I'll need to change my wheels too?
    Would you bother?
    Would you just by a new bike? :grin:
Thanks in advance.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Going semi-plus...?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unless you change the rim for something bigger than 23mm, there's really not much point. 35mm tends to be considered the minimum width for 'plus'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

I quite like my 29er (Singular Pegasus) set up with regular 2.25 on the back and 3.0 up front. The plus wheel is wider in width (Velocity Dually 35mm)

A little depends on geometry also - I did try this same wheel up front on my swift and hated it as it felt awful (some gyroscopic effects going on when turning)
2924 miles per Gallon
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

23mm internal is probably too narrow to get much benefit, otherwise the tyre will go too egg-shaped.

I run 3" front on a 52mm Hugo on my Stooge, and 2.6" Nobby Nic on a P35 on my Jones (as a spare as it's normally fat bike front). I much prefer the Stooge wheel as it's much comfier - so much so that I keep meaning to rebuild the Jones hub onto something wider.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

New bike Stu, you know you can afford it :wink: :-bd
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

My missus thinks different Tony !