any experience of gps files please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Naffa

any experience of gps files please

Post by Naffa »

Hi all, I have a Giant Neostrack gps unit which Ive a question regarding, specifically the gps files/format (i dont really know the proper terminology).
If I use the Neostrack app on my phone to plan a route and then upload that wirelessly to the gps unit I can follow the route with turn by turn directions which is great. If I use a route planner such as Strava or rwgps I have to transfer the route to the gps via usb and then I have to follow a breadcrumb trail instead of turn by turn directions.
Planning short routes using the app is ok but its tedious on longer routes. So, is there anyway to use rwgps or a similar program to get turn by turn directions on my Gps unit?
I hope my question makes sense.... :smile:
whitestone

Re: any experience of gps files please

Post by whitestone »

There are two GPS file formats: GPX which are just plain "breadcrumbs" or lines on a map and TCX which are the same as GPX files but also have the turn by turn warnings/instructions. When you save your route see if you can save it as a TCX file. It may be that you need the paid versions of programs to do this.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Naffa

Post by Naffa »

I'll give it a try, thank you.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I didn't know that about TCX files.
But don't think my etrex will accept them anyway.

There is also two variants of GPX.
Route or track.

I believe track is a pure breadcrumb.
A Route has waypoints along the route - think of it as a stretched out stingy breadcrumb trail.

I appear to be in a minority in that I prefer to use the route format.

So my GPX goes to sleep until I come up to a waypoint at which point it wakes up & boings at me.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Routes need careful planning but you'll get notifications from the GPS when you get close to a turn. You'll need a routable map to make the most of them. Tracks are simpler to prepare, but harder to follow as you need to be aware of your position relative to the line.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In Garmin terms a route is something to follow so go to waypoint 1, then waypoint 2, etc. A track is a recording of an activity so you or others can see where you've been.

In programs like bikehike, ridewithgps, etc. when you create a route every time you click on the map you create a waypoint and the program links it with the previous one. If you export it as a route then load it into a GPS with maps loaded then all the waypoints appear as markers on screen. GPS units have a limit on the number of waypoints they can handle per route or in total so this isn't the best option particularly for long or complicated routes.

If you export your "route" as a track then the program effectively creates a recording for you but it's one without the timestamps at each point that you'd get if you'd actually done it.

As Chris says, for turn by turn to work you need maps with routeable information embedded in them. The alternative is to create a route and for each waypoint add informational text "Turn left", etc. but this is only really viable if your planned route isn't in an area with lots of paths and tracks to confuse you.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry