Wildlife part 2

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Wildlife part 2

Post by whitestone »

There's a wood close by the house that has a brilliant carpet of bluebells. They weren't out about ten days ago but with a fine evening we wandered across and were treated to a fine display. Wandering along a vague path through the wood there's a sudden flash in front of me and also the sound of chicks. There's a woodpecker's nest about 6 metres up the tree in front of me. Continuing on a couple of squirrels (grey unfortunately) run across the path about twenty metres ahead. Then I notice a couple of ears moving above the bluebells. Coming towards us is a hare, with the wind blowing across the path it didn't smell us and as we had a largish tree in between us and it we weren't that obvious. It kept coming and was about a metre away before it realised that we weren't tree trunks and it lollopped away.

The last sighting was when we were heading back up the track to the house and a couple of the common velocipedus supinus flitted past.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rasta

Re: Wildlife part 2

Post by Rasta »

Lay some poison out. Then you won't have any more problems.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Your not feeling the wildlife love then Rasta? :wink:
Been wildlife - tastic for me recently, ptarmigans and hares when I was out hill walking last Friday, bleeding red squirrels all over the place, kamikaze deer everywhere, an oyster catcher nested in the gravel bed outside the office and the other week I saw an eagle over Glen Gairn :-bd
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Not really.
I put a fat ball out for the tits yesterday, usually lasts a week. But the house sparrows have learnt to hang from it - 3 at a time - and it has almost gone - in a day.
At 25p a pop - I am not happy.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:mrgreen:
I gave up feeding the birds ages ago as the little b*****ards were costing me a fortune. They repay this kindness by nesting in my eves and tweeting like mad at 5am....
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

These are French birds. They can be quite rude. Great tits though.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Rasta wrote:These are French birds. They can be quite rude. Great tits though.
Made me laugh :-bd

(Yes, I failed to grow up in the 70's)