Seatpost bag, differences

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Seatpost bag, differences

Post by whitestone »

One thing not mentioned so far is weight distribution. Cath had most of her kit on the handlebars because she's quite short and getting a seat bag to fit on a 29er for her is awkward. The heavier (denser) stuff like tools and food went in the frame bag. This made any hike-a-bike hard work if the front end needed lifting. It does depend on the bike though, some bikes can handle more at the front, the Solaris with carbon forks is very light up front so a bit of extra weight does improve handling.

In the shot of the Spearfish, it looks like there's a lot up front but without food but with the bivy kit in the Gnaro it's less than 1.5kg probably closer to 1kg so very manageable.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Regarding distribution, I basically split my kit into two categories: stuff to be kept clean and dry, stuff ok to get wet and dirty. In other words; (sleeping bag, down jacket, base layer, warm stuff) vs (tent, waterproofs).
So far the distribution is warm and clean = handlebars, wet and messy = seatpack, although this means I've got more bulk and weight upfront, so this may switch around soon. How does everyone else split / distribute kit ?
I know some bungle tarp and sleeping kit, but I'd be worried about getting the bag wet.
ootini

Post by ootini »

To the OP, check this out : http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/dave-blog ... eat-offers

As per the bargain thread.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ootini wrote:Regarding distribution, I basically split my kit into two categories: stuff to be kept clean and dry, stuff ok to get wet and dirty. In other words; (sleeping bag, down jacket, base layer, warm stuff) vs (tent, waterproofs).
So far the distribution is warm and clean = handlebars, wet and messy = seatpack, although this means I've got more bulk and weight upfront, so this may switch around soon. How does everyone else split / distribute kit ?
I know some bungle tarp and sleeping kit, but I'd be worried about getting the bag wet.
Yes, keeping the kit that must be dry separate from everything else is another factor to consider. It does depend on what I'm taking as to where I'll put stuff. For summer, I've a light quilt so it and bivy/spare clothes can go in the seat pack but for autumn/winter I'll supplement the quilt with a bag so the volume is higher and I'll have them on the handlebars as there's more room there. On the WRT I had a bag within a bag in the seat harness, the inner bag had the quilt and clothes as normal then the tarp and bivy bag went in on top of that bag. Wildcat do the double ended wet and dry bag which lets you put both wet and dry bivy kit in the same place - I used that on last year's HT550 for example.

The distribution on the Spearfish is:

Handlebar bag: tarp, bivy bag, pole, windproof jacket (it's in a handy place) with waterproof jacket held in external elastic straps
Jones Loop bag: batteries, phone, charging leads, glasses, cash and debit card.
Frame bag: sleeping mat, water filter, tarp pegs, FAK, tools and spares.
Seat bag: sleeping quilt, spare clothes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Yeah, I gathered weight distribution, and average height would be something to tweak.

Thanks

J
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

One of the best seat post racks I used before seatpost bags became readily available in the UK was a Bontrager one which was light and very sturdy and once bolted up never budged! They were about £15 at the time but the drawback is that the load hangs out over the back wheel which has more of an affect on handling than a seatpost bag does!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My last few trips were without a harness on the bars. I found that for more technical riding I preferred to have a seat post bag and a rucksack, with a half frame bag if I needed more space. Bottles in cages for those trips