2.4" rear end on 29+ bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

2.4" rear end on 29+ bike

Post by gairym »

Morning all,

I was reading on the 'to plus or not to plus' thread quite a few people suggesting that a proper 29+ on the front end and a 2.4" on the rear gives the best of both worlds.

I'd like to give this a go on my Rooster but unsure whether to switch the rear wheel from my regular 29er or to try a 2.4" tyre on my Hugo rim???

Any thoughts/opinions?

Also, those who run a bike like this, what tyres have you found to be nice, fast rolling and coming in at 2.4"?

As always any/all help appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
Charliecres

Re: 2.4" rear end on 29+ bike

Post by Charliecres »

2.4 on a Hugo can be done but you’ll get closer to the manufacturer’s intended tyre profile on something a bit narrower. If you have the time then experiment, if not I’d go with the narrower option.

I use an On-One Smorgasbord (made by Maxxis) on the back. I think it’s a 2.3. A good combo of tough, reasonably fast-rolling, grippy and cheap.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something big like a 2.4 X-King will work fine, something which (although listed as the same size but actually smaller) is likely to 'square off'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Anyone have a recommendation for a 27.5+ tyre for the front of my bike ? Currently running a 2.35 Schwalbe Nobby Nic, but are now running some wide, surly forks, thus 3" tyres are now a possibility. I'll stick with the 2.35" Rock razor at the back, as per the strategy described here.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone have a recommendation for a 27.5+ tyre for the front of my bike ? Currently running a 2.35 Schwalbe Nobby Nic, but are now running some wide, surly forks, thus 3" tyres are now a possibility. I'll stick with the 2.35" Rock razor at the back, as per the strategy described here.
What width rim? Sticking a plus sized tyre on a narrow rim is generally a pointless exercise.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Charliecres wrote:2.4 on a Hugo can be done but you’ll get closer to the manufacturer’s intended tyre profile on something a bit narrower. If you have the time then experiment, if not I’d go with the narrower option.
Yeah, that's the bit I'm worried about.
Charliecres wrote:I use an On-One Smorgasbord (made by Maxxis) on the back. I think it’s a 2.3. A good combo of tough, reasonably fast-rolling, grippy and cheap.
I've got one of them sat in the garage, might give it a try and see how it comes out.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Something big like a 2.4 X-King will work fine, something which (although listed as the same size but actually smaller) is likely to 'square off'.
That's exactly what I was looking at.

The only problem is that of I do it soon and like it then I'll be tempted to change bikes for Tuscany (just as I've settled on a bike/setup).
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've got an ardent 2.4 on the back of my Jones it's currently on a 39mm internal rim but was on a 45mm before that tbh it looks to fit better on the narrower rim even though it's only slightly smaller.

Up front I run a 29er plus chronicle or a 26x4.3 surly Edna depending on what I fancy
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've been running 2.4" Ardents on a 45mm Dually rim on the back for a couple of years, decent volume at that width and rolls really well. Probably my favourite set up for year-round use.
viragevitesse

Post by viragevitesse »

Since we are talking about using different tyre widths front and back, what about some more radical options like different wheel sizes back and front as a way to get the best of some other worlds.
For example 27.5 x 2.8 rear for the plushness and grip of seated pedaling, and 29 x 2.4 on the front with suspension to reduce some weight and rolling resistance. Both ends would have fatigue reducing features, and also allow you to ride some more aggressive terrain, but also not too sluggish on smoother flatter surfaces.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

As I said I have a 26x4.3 front and a 29x2.4 rear set up
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Like this?

firestarter

Post by firestarter »