Thermal trousers instead of sleeping bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JackT

Thermal trousers instead of sleeping bag?

Post by JackT »

I know there are some expensive down trousers for mountaineers out there but I'm thinking of the £10 ex-army ones, made by Snugpak.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BRIT ... 3073241673
Pair with the insulated jacket that I'm already carrying. Stay warm around camp at end of the day and no need to carry a sleeping bag. Anyone tried it? In a bivvy, or hammock, bus shelter or church porch? Or are they so heavy you may as well pack a lightweight bag, quilt or half-bag?

Jack
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Thermal trousers instead of sleeping bag?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't help thinking that you might as well take something like a Cumulus 150 quilt. At 350g, it probably weighs half those trousers and is good down to surprisingly low temps. However and as you say, one is far cheaper than the other :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've tried it, in the interests of science :smile: I wore my Montane Prism jacket and trousers in my bivi bag. I also had a pair of warm socks on. It was in August and I survived the night. It seems like a good idea to have a bit of kit that dies 2 things but in August insulated trousers aren't really needed to sit about in the evening but are only just warm enough at 3am in the bivi bag. But worth doing just for the experience :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

There was a guy who's a mobile piano tuner who was using PhD top and trousers (so ovbiously not cheap!)in a bivy bag as his way of living as he travelled around. Seemed to work for him, but I can't remember if he suffered any real weather or low temps. His blog is out there some where.
JackT

Post by JackT »

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. If I see a pair for a tenner I'll buy them and have a go myself sometime.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Just to say they do come up big, I was issued them and never wore them.

They tend to burn well, I seem to remember!