How many spare tubes do you carry?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whonickedmename

Re: How many spare tubes do you carry?

Post by whonickedmename »

Running tubeless here.

I tend to take one spare tube for local rides or when near to a source of backup, two if I'm way out in the sticks.

Perhaps I could pack a little lighter!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Practice with those tubeless plugs is deffo worthwhile. A bit like practicing changing tubes I guess.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

From the mini tool thread a half related fun story:
Alpinum wrote:
padonbike wrote:Mini tool an obvious, but do others also pack compact pliers?
Can't get the locking off the tubeless valve to put a replacement tube in without one. Or get the presta valve core out to add a shot of sealant in case of a less severe tyre mishap. :geek:
Got mine as a giveaway.
I saw them on display in outdoorshops in Scandinavia, but can't remember the name. Something monkey something.

All I need (ed so far)

Not shown, duct tape, sewing kit (3 needles - make sure they're not rusty) super glue, zip ties, wire.
edit: tube in the blue glove

A little, topic related story from my 2016 Iceland trip:

I treat tyres well on my first crossing. Basically from Reykjavik to Akureyri by hiker & horse riding tracks, also the full Kjalvegur (including the lesser known northern extension).

On the second crossing of the interior I ride from Myvatn on old jeep tracks to Laugardalur, from there into Askja and from Askja to Landmannalaugar. It was actually meant to be a recce trip and now I some how ended up riding across the country in deep state of piece with myself.
The regular rhythm of the pedalstrokes, the hours of riding in the often void landscape, have put me where I belong.

Some couple of 100 km later my rear tyre goes flat real slow. In quite a bad spot. I need to move to stay warm - I'm working with mother nature on the verge of stupidity and when she shrugs, I'll be in trouble.
Fixing flats on the move is not something I have mastered yet.
I found the side wall to have a small tear, likely just from rubbing on the rim (!).
I've never been so calm while fixing a flat. Tubeless is not working any more so I throw in a tube. Little later I'm off and ride hard to get warm again.

250 km later...
I'm in the middle of nowhere on the Sprengisandur (a track that see's some traffic), it's about 19:00 and I was hoping to ride a very long day right into Landmannalaugar. I make the decision to quickly bodge it together, find water and camp and fix it properly when I feel like it. Landmannalaugar it shall not be tonight, but another night in the "desert".

I ride up a hill from where I see moss - yay! I steadily cruise downhill and meet a bloke who seems to roam the Icelandic highlands in undies. Meet Morgan, a Polish guy who wants to cross Iceland to the south east on foot on a similar route I did some years ago. His tent is close by. I make camp next to his. We chat about route choices, life and stuff and drink whisky and smoke.
Like animals in the wild at the water hole.

Another night with lights!

Not long into the next day my quick fix fails. It fails here:
HELLO! IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE? It's soo good to be selfsufficient. I have time, fair weather (cold wind) and full of good spirits. Calm as ever.

I lay out all my tools to see my options. Whilst I'm at it I clip my nails too. This is how laid back I'm still feeling.

Three needles are found in my sewing kit. All rusty. They have been on seakayaking and packrafting trips and I've never checked them - mistake...
Two are rusty at the eyelet and break as soon as I try to work with them
The only one left is only rusty at the tip - lucky me.

Soon it too breaks but...
with my mini swiss pocket knife I make it pointy again. With this little knife I cut two entangled sheep free from an old fence prior on this trip. It's a bloody life saver.

Before I start I check how I need to stitch to make best use of the thread, as it isn't that long. Next time I'll take 2 meters or so. I would have liked to sew it in a tighter Fashion, but am happy with the result.

A super jeep and two old tractors - Massey Fergusons go past. They ask if I need help.
"Nope, I'm just fine thanks."

Next up, protect the seam.
I roughen up the rubber and use vulcaniser. Nope... doesn't seem to work. I try again. Nothing.
Then I try it with super glue - it works immediately,

I appreciate my work of art (not less) and am really happy to see what my little tools and self are capable. A good team.

I hammer down the Sprengisandur, loosing more height than gaining it and close in on the tractors. We have a fun chat and they love my art work.

I hammer on. The track can be ridden quite fast, but it's well rough - washboard, big rubble, sand. A short Stretch of tarmac and of towards the colourful Fjallabak.
70 km later and 20 km before Landmannalaugar my fix fails:
20 km. Another 60 min or so. I'll give it a quick fix and ride on.

500 meter before the inviting hot streams of Landmanna, my tube and tyre go kaputt beyond (reasonable) repair. No bodging. I ride into Landmanna on a flat.

Next time, besides the checking the needles before leaving home, I bring some webbing along, to support the seam.

I never stopped believing that I would ride into Landmanna that same day under own steam. I had visualised it so much, anything else wasn't probabilistic...
Thank feck I had those tools with me.
whonickedmename wrote:Running tubeless here.

I tend to take one spare tube for local rides or when near to a source of backup, two if I'm way out in the sticks.

Perhaps I could pack a little lighter!
About the same here.

Has the lower rolling resistance and more compliant feel when going tubeless already been mentioned? (well, now it has...)

I also highly recommend plugs as in Maxalami etc. They are a great thing to carry.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Two tubes and a repair kit...

Si
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Wheres the best place to get these Tubolito things?
Also, which would be good for a 38mm gravel tyre?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Taylor wrote:Wheres the best place to get these Tubolito things?
Also, which would be good for a 38mm gravel tyre?
I've got Riddler 37s on my bike and they've been great on road, smaller gravel, hardpack and sand. They've been a bit slippy on bigger graded gravel though that's probably got more to do with the fact that I'm running them at 45psi (with tubes) than a flaw in the tyre. There's also GravelKing 38s, Maxxis Rambler 38s or if money is no object then Compass Barlow Pass to consider.