waterproof trousers ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alh14

waterproof trousers ?

Post by Alh14 »

Am off to Knighton today to credit card pack (mates are softies) the Trans Cambrian way.

Forecast is looking wet for wed and Friday, I've got water resistant leg warmers and waterproof shorts, which are fine for trail centres but have never ridden all day in the rain. would you recommend a set of over trousers or is that too much ?
whitestone

Re: waterproof trousers ?

Post by whitestone »

Alh14 wrote:Am off to Knighton today to credit card pack (mates are softies) the Trans Cambrian way.

Forecast is looking wet for wed and Friday, I've got water resistant leg warmers and waterproof shorts, which are fine for trail centres but have never ridden all day in the rain. would you recommend a set of over trousers or is that too much ?
For me it would be too much as I don't like much on my legs. I'll wear something like Endura MT500 shorts or 3/4 trousers if it's particularly bad and in winter but usually I'll just tough it out. Particularly bad = hail/cold rain and driving wind.

Nowt wrong with credit-card-packing if it lets you do what you want to do.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'll take mine if I'm on a multi-day as they keep my legs much warmer in the wet, but I'm a southern softie not a tough northerner like Bob :grin: Once I get really cold legs it takes me ages to warm up again especially if I'm biving.

But if I was staying in accommodation I wouldn't bother as you'll be able to warm up and dry out each night. If I'm on an all day local ride even in really foul weather I just wear waterproof shorts and warm up in the shower when I get home.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

Thanks guys for the replies. Think I will go with what I've got. :cool:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I also prefer wearing shorts and just get wet legs. If it's looking bad I might choose waterproof shorts, but that usually means water resistant in bad weather!

Front and rear mudguards make a huge difference if you can stomach the way they look. I use a rear one when it's grim and a small fender guard type one for bigger trips (full front mudguard for local trips as I'm on a rigid bike then)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

+1 for wet legs with knee warmers. Waterproof pants don't stay that way for long in Wales.

Greetz

S.
Last edited by Scattamah on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Just keep moving. Its basically about keeping your torso warm as that's where the heat is generated. A good waterproof jacket should always keep you warm. I always use on cold rainy days a good walking jacket and if its really bad a Musto hunting jacket although that can be a little over the top. No waterproof trousers, just ordinary tracky bottoms. That's if all I am doing is going to the pub. Landlord ain't always happy moping round me though!
Last edited by johnb on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Just as matter of interest does anyone use waterproof shorts and what brand do they recommend. At the moment I am wearing shorts all day every day due to an infection in my leg. Trying to keep it open so it will dry out. Trousers are simply rubbing off the very thin scab. Today I had to spend a couple of hours in the garden followed by 3 hours cycle/walk the dog. Might be nice to have dry shorts at least they won't weigh as much.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Mine are Madison somethings, can't remember which ones
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very impressed by my fairly recent Madison "Tempest 3/4 baggy" shorts so far. Were only £45 from London Bicycle Workshop. Always have my bamboo leggings on underneath. Seems a bit pointless having less-than-3/4 length waterproof shorts, if one is going to have them at all.

(EDIT: just crossed with you there Ben :smile:. "Tempest" were they? :wink:)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm a northern wimp and I wear 'em. That said its mainly to keep my feet dry (with gaitors and goretex boots) as if I get wet feet, I get cold feet, regardless of how warm it is. If its absolutely pishing down they are defo a good thing, particularly if its also a bit chilly. Currently using some berghaus goretex paclite troos but they are crap. Recommendations for lightweight waterproof breathable over trousers accepted!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote:Recommendations for lightweight waterproof breathable over trousers accepted!
Mine are Alpkit Parallax. I've worn them for about 4 days of riding in total now and seem to be holding up. They are a very lightweight material so I don't know how durable they'd be long term. I wore them on a soaking wet ridgeway ride at Easter, delayed putting them on as I was hoping the weather would improve :roll: so I had wet shorts and knee warmers by the time I put them on. After riding for another 6 or 7 hours in the rain my shorts and warmers had just about dried out underneath so they must be waterproof and breathable :-bd

I would always take mine on a multi-day somewhere remote. They weigh 195g so not exactly heavy but give a margin of safety. I'm as happy as the next person powering along in the rain in wet shorts but in the event of a mechanical which left the bike un-rideable then it wouldn't take very long pushing a bike off the hills to start to get very cold if it was raining and windy. I can also put them on at stops or setting up the bivi to keep the wind off.
landel

Post by landel »

I have a pair of OMM Kameika pants https://www.theomm.com/product/kamleika-pant/. The pretty light at 190g. You'll definitely sweat a bit in them but they're reasonably breathable and keep the rain off well. I'm not sure how durable they're going to be. I save them for occasions where speed/weight matters. They're made of a stretchy material which doesn't limit movement while cycling. I like to keep the rain off if it's going to like that for hours.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My Madisons are the Zeniths

I do have a couple of pairs of waterproof trousers (actually 4 I think...!), but have preferred to either get wet legs or wear waterproof shorts

I use them on the motorbike and for walking though, I just find them annoying on the bike. I put on leggings or similar for sleeping though just so I don't traipse all that gunk into my nice clean kit
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just some super cheap waterproof, allegedly breathable, very packable things here.

Good for a proper downpour for just general comfort and protection and as said before wind chill protection when stopped and faffing about. For the weight and space its seems irresponsible not to on a more remote camping trip.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I just use windproof ones - Montane Featherlites - to keep the chill off. Surprisingly effective.
I have a set of Kamleikas as well, but the Featherlites get used more often. Also have the Endura Superlight waterproof shorts, but have to wear them with braces otherwise I get a builder's ass and a crack full of mud.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I can usually tolerate wet legs, only really using waterproof trousers in mountaineering situations.
I usually carry a pair of cheap as chips waterproof fell running trousers from Pete Blands for mooching around bivvy's for additional warmth protection and as above if anything goes pear shaped. I got them originally to satisfy the full body cover requirements in MM's and fell races, main advantage is they only weigh100g. Don't know if they still do them though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the keeping the crap off your legs benefit to trousers? .... no, I don't wear them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned the keeping the crap off your legs benefit to trousers? .... no, I don't wear them.
Aye right enough, if its proper gopping its nice to be able to peel of overtrousers and wander into cafes / pubs looking fairly respectable. Also good when bivvying not having soaking muddy kit to stash somewhere (and put on cold and damp the next morning...)
Cheers for recommendations (and sorry to OP for thread hijack)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Quite like the Vaude Drop Pants
https://www.vaude.com/de-CH/Produkte/Ec ... 9810103200

Lightweight but not short lasting.
Never failed to keep me comfy when the weather went wild
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They look good - The alpkit ones are out of stock and the OMM's are designed for short legged people....
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I really like waterproof trousers. Legs have a lot of surface area and mine can make me very cold. Also my top half sweats more than they do. So I’d rather wear less layers on top.

I’ve had omm ones. Like the stretchiness

Inov8 ones are similar material but not quite as much give. They are longer though.

Think I had some montane ones too at one stage.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote:They look good - The alpkit ones are out of stock and the OMM's are designed for short legged people....
The alpkit were out of stock when I brought mine, I just brought the woman's version, they look identical and if there is any difference in the fit it might even be an bonus if you have an athletic build?