Lightweight mat to replace Thermarest Ultralite

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rich.mike

Lightweight mat to replace Thermarest Ultralite

Post by rich.mike »

Is there anything that beats the Alpkit Numo?
ianfitz

Re: Lightweight mat to replace Thermarest Ultralite

Post by ianfitz »

Beats it how? Price, weight, pack size, insulation, availability?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Neoair 3/4 size mat is great for a nights sleep. Apparently it crackles in the night but I don't hear it. Or the X-frame inertia which is more comfy than it looks and under 200 grams.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I was looking at something that packs down smaller versus the ultralite. I'll be using it over a longer bikepacking adventure so comfort is also a key priority. The price and pack size of the alpkit makes it appealing.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Neoair Xlite regular packs pretty small. I'm picky about mine always going back inside the bag it came in along with the original patch kit. It's not much bigger than a 750ml water bottle.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From what I can tell the Numo isn't an insulated mat. Unlike a three or four season sleeping bag there's no downside to having a better insulated mat during warmer weather.

The usual recommendations on here are the NeoAir and Exped Synmat ranges. Not cheap, certainly not as cheap as the Numo, but you aren't really comparing like with like. A mat like the Exped Synmat Hyperlite https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -mat-p6656 is lighter than the Numo and good enough for use in the Arctic, we bivvied north of the Arctic Circle in something like -15C last year and my wife used one of them. I had the Winterlite, https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -mat-p6648 slightly heavier but a bit better insulating. The Hyperlite packs down to little bigger than a water bottle, the winterlite is a little bigger as you'd expect but still very reasonable.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I've got a jr gear insulated Matt from Ali express which has always done me proud.

https://ru.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... xt=Jr+gear
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've got a Klymit Ozone which I've trimmed the sides and foot end.

Mine weighs 350 gms. An in built pillow makes it by far the most comfortable lightweight mat I have used.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

rich.mike wrote:Is there anything that beats the Alpkit Numo?
IMO&E, just about anything beats a Numo.

It's barely better than a li-lo i.e. air filled tubes with a wisp of effective insulation. If it works for you then great but for me it was carp. I'd rather spend a few more schekkles and have something likely to be warm and comfy over a wider range of temp's / seasons.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Klymit Ozone for me. Being a shorty (5'6") means I can fold the pillow on to the mat which is super comfy if like me you are a side sleeper so needing that bit of extra support.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Postman recently delivered a KLYMIT V Ultralite Slim Sleeping Mat - used it on an overnight training mission between Dartmoor and Bodmin. Not as warm as a neo air but super comfy and pleased with the way it packs down to zilch
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

I got the insulated version of the KLYMIT V Ultralite for the winter event. Seemed to do the job ok. Got it from massdrop and got stung for tax and handling fee etc but still worked out about £60. Took a little while to arrive but not too long.