Anyone got a BARYAK?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BreninBeener

Anyone got a BARYAK?

Post by BreninBeener »

I have a 29er HT that i had the intention of putting some Nano 40 or Gravelking 42 type tyres on and a rigid carbon fork.

Its my intention to use the bike as a gravel bike for long multi day trips.

When im on my road bike i like the variety of positions offered by drops and tribars.

I dont really want to put drops on the bike, so its flat bars and mtb groupset for me.

I have seen a Baryak used by a friend who races TDR etc. It seems an elegant solution but its rather spendy. Is there anything else like this kit, or will a tribar and bar end setup give me a set of positions that will make me comfortable for long days.

Thanks
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Anyone got a BARYAK?

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just had a look at their webpage. Interesting stuff, but the arm position appears to be quite wide, compared to traditional aero bar setups. I am looking a a different solution for my gravel bike from USE, their Boost bar clip-on. At £150 (including carbon ext bars) they are not cheap, but considerably less than the BarYak expedition and I expect somewhat lighter too, at approx 250g (BarYak site doesn't list weights, but it looks very 'over-built'). Perhaps the Yak would be better if you are intending to dangle a massive bag off their...

I expect Stu will also appreciate the photo in their gallery of a nice tent pitch with a massive open fire on the grass!!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I expect Stu will also appreciate the photo in their gallery of a nice tent pitch with a massive open fire on the grass!!!
Uhm ... and I'm wondering why you would fit them to a fat bike for any other reason than simply 'because you can'?
May the bridges you burn light your way
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

So on this theme, which carbon non-riser bars have a central clamping area that would take a pr of tri-bars?

Does anyone have any idea? Or will it be aluminium?
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

I've always worked on the assumption that provided the tri-bar is clamped on the handlebar centre bulge, it will be strong enough. As I said on your STW thread, a short-reach tri-bar like a draft-legal might work. The BarYak stuff is nice but expensive.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Thanks! I will see what i can turn up. I had also thought of using a second stem on the steerer that points backwards.

I could them use a short section of handlebar to have a rearward mount for the tri bars. This would be useful where the tri bar arm rest is part of the handlebar clamp.

Or maybe i want a baryak!!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Flat carbon bars and clamped on tri bars will be fine if you're not acting like a gorilla while fitting them. I've had some on a set of X Lite bars and didn't die.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Great, i already have some bars to use. I will try and sort a set of aero bars that have the mount on the extension and the armrest independent of the clamp