Cutting carbon bars??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Cutting carbon bars??

Post by Sarah »

I have some carbon bars that need a few cm off each end as rather too huge!

They are Nukeproof and box says I need a fancy tool to cut them down. Cant I just use a hacksaw? What will happen, will they unravel? Any tips or experiences or advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Sarah
Sarah
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cutting carbon bars??

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sarah, wrap the area you're cutting tightly with masking tape. Mark where you want to cut and cut with a fine toothed hacksaw - 32t per inch works well. After cutting, smooth the end with a fine file / sandpaper AND wear a dust mask.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - 32tpi blade is what you want. B&Q.
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

A junior hacksaw often has finer teeth than a full size.

Def wrap in insulation tape or masking tape and go slow. Some breathing protection is good, and some v v fine wet and dry to dress the cut parts.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Be aware that some carbon bars have an aluminium insert at each end which extends about 2cm into the bar. This is to allow cutting to the extent of the insert and minimises the carbon fraying. Personally, if I didn't have the special saw guide and fine tooth saw, I'd go to my local good quality road bike shop armed with biscuits and/or cake and ask them to do it. Roadie shops will be used to shortening carbon fork steerers or seat posts. It's just one of those jobs that the consequences of getting wrong can be expensive and possibly dangerous. If you're not sure what width you want, try fitting open ended grips and ride with a bit of bar sticking out for a bit, you can't undo the cutting if you go too far.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And some carbon bars are reinforced where the shifters and brakes clamp on and shouldn't be cut too short as you'll end up clamping onto the un-reinforced part.

My Raceface SixC bars are marked with cutting guides that help to prevent this.