Garmin Edge Touring giving me trouble ... help please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Garmin Edge Touring giving me trouble ... help please

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm trying to load Pickers' three WRT routes onto the thing, but it just won't play nicely. I've tried clicking and dropping the files in the New Files folder. They show up on the computer in FINDER but not on the device. I've "saved as" and I've copied, cut and paste .... nothing. Ive turned it off and turned it back on again. I've deleted most of the other files in case the memory was mucking up.

Any thoughts? They are straightforward GPX files just like the half a dozen others Ive got on there.
I'm just going outside ...
Asposium

Re: Garmin Edge Touring giving me trouble ... help please

Post by Asposium »

TheBrownDog wrote:I'm trying to load Pickers' three WRT routes onto the thing, but it just won't play nicely. I've tried clicking and dropping the files in the New Files folder. They show up on the computer in FINDER but not on the device. I've "saved as" and I've copied, cut and paste .... nothing. Ive turned it off and turned it back on again. I've deleted most of the other files in case the memory was mucking up.

Any thoughts? They are straightforward GPX files just like the half a dozen others Ive got on there.
Try using Garmin Basecamp???

Load GPX into basecamp
Connect Garmin to computer via USB cable
Send to internal storage of Garmin
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Pretty sure that GPX files need to be in /Garmin/GPX folder before the device will read them...but I could be horribly wrong. :)

Greetz

S.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Tim, I have an Edge Touring as well, sometimes it doesn't play well with either GPX tracks or routes - they all need to be one or the other, can't remember which. Basically if they're the wrong one they won't show. Don't ask why this is, it's a Garmin foible.
I normally do routes on Bikehike and save as GPX routes I think - this has come straight off Memory Map which might work differently - they're first drafts so they'll be tidied up anyway yet.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I find that if it's a tcx or gpx trail it will work in Basecamp but not Garmin connect , the only way I can load into connect is to use a gpx route
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It could be that the GPX file is route points rather than track points. Garmin devices usually only like track points. If you send me the GPX I can check and fix. dave@phased.co.uk
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

TBD you could also open each one in bikehike.co.uk and then save them as gpx track. I have edge touring and the folder is new files.
Never knowingly under biked...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

On my 800 they gpx or tcx files need to be put in the new files folder. On the etrex they go in the gpx folder.

Don’t know how the menus are structured on the touring.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Just like the 800, new files. I have both.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Brilliant thanks everyone. Sure one of those tips will sort it. Dave thanks for the offer. Will take you up if all else fails.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Right. Sorted. Opened one of the routes in bikehike and after failing when I saved it as either form of gpx, saved it as a tcx and lo and behold, it appears on the gizmo. Very odd. Ive had this thing for years and never had an issue with it. I would not have been a happy camper if that had happened the night before the WRT.