Lost? When...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Lost? When...

Post by voodoo_simon »

When was the last time you were lost? And I mean properly lost, not having a clue whether going straight ahead, left or right will take you where you need to go to.

I’m racking my brain and it must have been a few months, so long that sadly, I don’t have a story to tell!

I’ve visited new places recently but have always checked the map/google maps whilst out to keep on track, rather than a proper explore and just wandering
ScotRoutes

Re: Lost? When...

Post by ScotRoutes »

Many years ago.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I refer to our Noble Leader, who sorts me out in times such as these. Only when one is truly lost can one truly know when one is found again.

"Lost?" - nah, no such thing, "temporarily geographically mislaid" maybe.....

Too many bloody "Garmins", "gpxs", "Etrexes" in This Place these days :wink:. If it's too easy to know where you are, then, ergo, it's too easy to get lost......

(EDIT: I'll correct that. It's too easy to NOT get lost..... )
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does 'lost' include not knowing where you are, even if you don't care where you are or are you only 'lost' if you're somewhere other than where you want to be?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Before Garmins there were maps. Even being able to read the terrain, direction of the sun etc. makes getting truly lost very difficult.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Amen, 'Routes, good point there.

At the risk of pushing it too far (wot me guv?), I'd say AFTER Garmins there were maps too..... :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I think the last time I was lost was when I no longer appeared to be on the footpath I was meant to be following. This would probably be less noteworthy had the footpath in question not been the Pennine Way where it crosses Bleaklow. I suspect that's about as close to the rambling equivalent of a motorway as you'll get.
touch

Post by touch »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:are you only 'lost' if you're somewhere other than where you want to be?
If that's the case, then I get lost in my office quite often :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I often don’t know where I am but the last time I was truly lost was nearly 40 years ago in the scouts on an orienteering trip when our navigator had forgotten to adjust for magnetic north so we ended up going down the wrong valley
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Temporarily unsure of which way to go, sure, the other week in a confusing maze of old farm boundaries following a non existent bridleway. Usually a few minutes consideration and its all clear.

Once on the tops in the lakes in fog I was possibly the most disoriented I've ever been, but as we were trying to figure it out the fog briefly lifted so we could get a bearing. Entirely due to lazy navigation while busy walking and talking. Don't be a lazy navigator!

Lost as in no idea where I am or how to get out of the situation, never.
psling

Post by psling »

Moder-dye wrote:Temporarily unsure of which way to go, sure.. . Usually a few minutes consideration and its all clear.

Lost as in no idea where I am or how to get out of the situation, never.
^ this.

I see "I'm lost" more as a case of "I'm exploring" :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

+1
Never been lost, just occasionally not quite sure where I am in relation to everything else (both geographically and mentally :???: )
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Took a wrong turn in Slovenia once and ended up staying at a nudist camp in Austria for the night!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

anagallis_arvensis wrote:Took a wrong turn in Slovenia once and ended up staying at a nudist camp in Austria for the night!
I was going to post about riding over Cat & Fiddle in the dark when it was raining and somehow ending up in Congleton but this lad here's ^^ finished the thread off with that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
barney

Post by barney »

I wise old man of these parts once told me...

As long as you are moving you aren't lost, you're just on a slight detour.
Wait for me...
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

In Reverse wrote:
anagallis_arvensis wrote:Took a wrong turn in Slovenia once and ended up staying at a nudist camp in Austria for the night!
I was going to post about riding over Cat & Fiddle in the dark when it was raining and somehow ending up in Congleton but this lad here's ^^ finished the thread off with that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luckily by the time I got to the nudist camp it was getting dark so people were putting clothes on, going in the unisex showers with my cyclists tan I was clearly a sub standard nudist! Got up early packed up and did a lap of the site naked before putting my kit on and getting out of there!!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Does 'lost' include not knowing where you are, even if you don't care where you are or are you only 'lost' if you're somewhere other than where you want to be?
Ermmm, I’ll let you decide!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Does 'lost' include not knowing where you are, even if you don't care where you are or are you only 'lost' if you're somewhere other than where you want to be?
For me most of the time list would mean realising you: don’t know where you are or realise you are not where you thought you were.

This is easier to do with poor map and compass navigation. It’s easy to ‘make’ the map fit the ground. Then suddenly it doesn’t anymore...

Oops
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me most of the time list would mean realising you: don’t know where you are or realise you are not where you thought you were.

This is easier to do with poor map and compass navigation. It’s easy to ‘make’ the map fit the ground. Then suddenly it doesn’t anymore...
Perhaps what I should have said was - if you have no fixed destination and thus no fixed route, then for some of the time you may not know quite where you are but are you actually lost? I think not.
May the bridges you burn light your way