offroad route planning for Europe

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

offroad route planning for Europe

Post by ton »

looking for a os or bike hike type thing for planning routes in Europe. any ideas.
Mariner

Re: offroad route planning for Europe

Post by Mariner »

I loaded the OSM France maps on BaseCamp.
Never looked for any other sites as I usually just down load an existing route but will have a search around.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My favourite is wikiloc, lots of routes of all types especially in France and Spain. You could also try Komoot if you just want to navigate between places, again it's possible to refine the choice of road or trail depending on your type of bike.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Agreed, Komoot and Wikiloc are good sites for routes. Also dangerousroads.org, loads of sport touring or 4x4 routes on there.

For creating GPS routes I still find ridewithgps has the most useful layering options for Europe. The OSMcycle layer has topo info and walking, bike and tracks marked out.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bikehike still works for Europe. But only the google map window.

It’s doesnt have elevation data, but there are other websites for that.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote:Agreed, Komoot and Wikiloc are good sites for routes. Also dangerousroads.org, loads of sport touring or 4x4 routes on there.

For creating GPS routes I still find ridewithgps has the most useful layering options for Europe. The OSMcycle layer has topo info and walking, bike and tracks marked out.
That dangerous roads site looks good, just had a brief look and looks like there is some interesting reading to be had
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ It's brilliant. Basically anywhere a 4x4 can go will make an interesting 'Euro gravel' route ... it has some good tips for minor cols also. When planning the tour that became the TNR it was the first place I went to for an idea of terrain when a route crossed a marked/named col.