Mike

Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by Mike »

So iv just manged to get the leave for this I think, so who's going
ianfitz

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by ianfitz »

Mike wrote:So iv just manged to get the leave for this I think, so who's going
I'd like to but don't have sign off just yet. Booking the leave from work is the easy bit! :lol:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yep. Flights booked. Just need to sort out who is looking after the dog - to old to be left out in the street for a week or put into kennels

Any recommendations for somewhere to stay in Turin and Nice please?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tomato hostel in Turin was nice ... some none descript hotel in Nice was welcome :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Any recommendations for somewhere to stay in .... Nice please?
Menton ;)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Thanks Stuart, will get that booked
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup. I made sure I booked the time off well in advance this year.

Greetz

S.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've got it penciled in but to be honest I think I may be being a tad optimistic with the amount things I've got planned.

But it's in the diary and I'll be working towards it and so if the stars (work, family, my back) align then I'll be there as I've got unfinished business....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm definitely in, health permitting, my elaborate plans involve depositing MrsPB and our camper van on a site just outside Nice for a week's swim (sunbathing) training. I'll take the train to Turin, haven't looked into logistics yet but assume it's doable. Ride the route with an assortment of smelly Europeans, couple of days at the van then home to sunny Spain. I think DaveB's hatching a similar plan involving Mrs Sweary and his camper but flying direct to Turin but not sure as this was pre moving to the Devon Riveriera. I was trying to talk Chickenlegs into it when he was here the other week but he seems to have other events to do first.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I am 50/50 atm as house move may change a lot of plans
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks wriggles for the reminder to book a room on the night before. I've booked a single in the Tomato, sorted.
I've signed up to the email intent list but prior to it changing, I've not had any info since but been keeping an eye on updates. Should I have had anything yet? (James?)
Mike, have you read DaveB's report on his trip? He makes several comments about idiosyncratic cafe opening and general food shortage, I know it's a subject close to your heart, 4 day packed lunch an option?
Still persevering with the plan of using my Dirty Disco cross bike with 44mm fronts and 40mm rear, need a reasonable cost solution of lowering gearing from the 34/32 11speed setup currently. I've seen Absolute Black do a 30t oval chainring that fits 105 cranks but they're £170 for the 2 chainrings I'd need! Any other solutions for a 2x compact chainset?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stronger legs :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just a thought, the campsite we're looking at is 6 miles from Nice airport. If anyone flying back to the UK needs a cardboard box to pack their bike, we can bring a few in the van and you can get a bus or train to the airport. Probably a maximum of 4 boxes will fit in/under the van.
Legs are fine thanks but on long loose climbs, fully loaded, it's handy to just sit in and spin the legs to avoid spinning the back wheel.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Planning on doing it this year. Time booked off work and I've also booked a single at the Tomato as well. Not booked flights yet as I've not really thought about how long it's going to take me.
pistonbroke wrote: I've signed up to the email intent list but prior to it changing, I've not had any info since but been keeping an eye on updates. Should I have had anything yet? (James?)
Think I read some where that an email update may be sent out this evening, don't hold me to that though!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can you not just fit a big cassette Duncan? Obviously something like a road-link may be required.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've been out and bought an 11/40 but just can't bring myself to fit a cassette where the sprocket is bigger than the brake disc! At least with smaller chainrings it doesn't look as though I'm being soft :cool:
That said, I might just do both!!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Very much hoping to be there again this year; might even have finished building the new bike by then...
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

pistonbroke wrote: I was trying to talk Chickenlegs into it when he was here the other week but he seems to have other events to do first.
Not looking likely for this year, but I will be back for the high level section (name escapes me) Dave and me didn't get done in 2016.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Is it Little Peru Andy?
As if by magic my email with all the gen on the event popped into my inbox 10 minutes ago. Seems the route is slightly changed and no airport start point, neither of which affect me. As is regrettably all to common in these litigious days, James has set up a means by which he cannot be held liable if the proverbial hit the fan, good idea. There is a way of getting bikes packed at Nice airport but my offer of bringing a box still stands.
jameso

Post by jameso »

James has set up a means by which he cannot be held liable if the proverbial hit the fan,
In theory ... :grin:
I can still be held as negligent and debating what that is/isn't could still be expensive but I'm hoping that any insurer trying to sue a limited, non-profit company with no assets would see sense and not bother. Anyway, a bit off-topic of the event itself, glad you got the mail as that was the post I was going to answer before getting further down.
the high level section (name escapes me) Dave and me didn't get done in 2016
Via del Sale option I'm guessing, as the Little Peru section is the main route and I saw some great pics from Andy up in the L.P area at dawn.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Exactly that James, Via Del Sale, we had slept in the Fort and had a thunderstorm roll in overnight, didn't seem the best area to be :wink:
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

ImageUntitled by Andy Lawrence, on Flickr
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

That section from Gardetta Pass all the way across to where the dirt ended and the tarmac began a very long descent...really special. Probably my favourite part of the whole route so far.

Greetz

S.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

riding through the night to the refuge gardetta watching shooting stars was the highlight for my trip,the refuge let me in a 9.30pm cooked me a meal too
could of had a rest day there too nice to leave in a rush :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm a maybe. What's the overall trip length, i.e. how many days are people generally overseas for?