Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by Scud »

@Pistonbroke, seems to be that the spacing between the rings is further apart than the standard rings, so the inner ring is positioned further back, pain as they are clearly aimed at the "gravel/adventure" market and i wanted the bike to work as a road bike too, so didn't really want large gaps between ratios at rear, maybe will just stick larger cassette for the event, and look to try the Easton cranks with 46/30, spoke to Silverfish and they say they arrive in UK for end of May, not really a fan of FSA stuff after a number of issues.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just to grab attention away from (admittedly interesting) gearing geekery :grin:

There's a possibility of a spot in the hills within striking distance of Nice where we can have a beer, food and shower - in that order of priority probably. Maybe fire too. If it goes ahead it'll be supported (funded) by a welcome sponsor and happen at a campsite or similar, ie staffed with some facilities. A bit un-bikepacking purism but you know, Party Pace Cos it's Not a Race. And I can't afford to drink and eat my day 6 appetite on the sea front in Nice so this seems like a more fitting end to the ride.

Thoughts, welcome the idea or not?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And I can't afford to drink and eat my day 6 appetite on the sea front in Nice
I recall spending an entire years earnings on two cokes ... they were good though, in glass bottles an' everything.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Jameso, i'm up for that, i will definitely be "touring pace" and will be sampling the culinary delights of the area as i go along!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I like the sound of that James. What's the party pace going to be? So I can adjust time off 'n such.

Greetz

S.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Sounds great, although so was jumping in the sea in my smelly kit :)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I'm really hoping to do it this year - been signed up for the last two but not yet made it. Doesn't help that my son's 9th birthday is on the 4th... again!

Re: geekery, I'll be doing it on a rigid 29er with mountain bike gears, so if they don't work for me god help me...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I recall spending an entire years earnings on two cokes ... they were good though, in glass bottles an' everything.
I think Scott and I broke our savings accounts on rounds in the first year. I've just about paid that one off now :lol:

Scott, anything after the 7th Sept I guess. Whatever we do will be open from the 6th but I doubt it'll be busy until the weekend. Open for any riders passing through over that 5-7 days that people spread out over. Think of it as a drop-in centre soup kitchen with more fire* and beer. And better food than soup, I hope.

*in an organised and prepared area, no LNT ethics undermined.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Campsite near Nice sounds a great idea James. Would be nice to catch up with other riders of similar sedentary pace before dropping into Nice to catch the flight home. Think Scud and I are flying back on weds 12th.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

A friend forwarded me the email mailout, I thought I had registered and have subsequently done so, can I have a place please sir?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Think of it as a drop-in centre soup kitchen with more fire* and beer. And better food than soup, I hope.
I had more of an image of Kurtz's camp in Apocalypse Now with James presiding over a steady stream of ragged smelly bikers passing through in various states of disrepair. "the horror, the horror!"
jameso

Post by jameso »

pistonbroke wrote:
Think of it as a drop-in centre soup kitchen with more fire* and beer. And better food than soup, I hope.
I had more of an image of Kurtz's camp in Apocalypse Now with James presiding over a steady stream of ragged smelly bikers passing through in various states of disrepair. "the horror, the horror!"
Ha... I'll be presiding over nothing... I'll be arriving foot out, flat out, skidz for kidz with one hand open (technically challenging, I expect) to receive my Duval hand-up to be drunk in one, then fall off my bike for a quick sleep.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ta James. It's a bit of a balancing act to ride it quick enough to enjoy but not so fast that you spend more than 24 hours in Nice and empty the bank account.

Duval...doubles as food!

Greetz

S.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

jameso wrote:
Ha... I'll be presiding over nothing... I'll be arriving foot out, flat out, skidz for kidz with one hand open (technically challenging, I expect) to receive my Duval hand-up to be drunk in one, then fall off my bike for a quick sleep.
I see what you did there. Robert Duval "Charlie dont Bikepack!!"
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ nope, but got it after a quick google... Ha. Ben said 1st TNR (his 1st long bikepacking trip, and Ben's strong but isn't a climber!) was like boot camp.
It's a bit of a balancing act to ride it quick enough to enjoy but not so fast that you spend more than 24 hours in Nice and empty the bank account.
Just hang out at the camp site if needed, easy. Well, got to find a willing camp site first.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I still have no idea how long it's going to take me, but I've got 7 days which I'm hoping will be enough (it would be at my usual fitness, but that's all gone now).
Mike

Post by Mike »

So where and who are folk flying out from? I need to look a flights and possibly book a nice bed at the tomato :)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You might struggle to get in the tomato, I booked on Booking.com last Sunday but hadn't had a confirmation so looked again a couple of nights ago. It was showing fully booked but that may just be the rooms that Booking.com have on their website. Can't help you with flights, I'm driving to Nice then getting the train on the 2nd.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'm hunting for somewhere too Mike. If you find somewhere I'll split a room with ya. Rutland John found a place on Air B'n'B - complete with shagging Italians down the hall. Might be worth a punt. It was 2 blocks away from the start IIRC.

Greetz

S.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
i spent £50 on 2 gin and tonics in the bar next to cafe du cyclist,
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Mike wrote:So where and who are folk flying out from? I need to look a flights and possibly book a nice bed at the tomato :)
i stayed in a bed and breakfast not far from the train station last year,the owner let me keep my bike in the room,ill be going there this year if you want to know the name send a pm
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Richard G wrote:I still have no idea how long it's going to take me, but I've got 7 days which I'm hoping will be enough (it would be at my usual fitness, but that's all gone now).
took me 6 days on 29x3 tyres and carrying 19 stone up the hills :mrgreen:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Scattamah wrote:Ta James. It's a bit of a balancing act to ride it quick enough to enjoy but not so fast that you spend more than 24 hours in Nice and empty the bank account.

Duval...doubles as food!

Greetz

S.
i spent 3 days in nice,but it was the best 3 days of that year,had a ride out with dutch people i met to a local beach were we had a picnic and swim in sea
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Scud wrote:I’m in, dorm room booked at Tomato hostel too.

Currently building bike ready, going for 46/30 Absolute Black chainrings at front and 11-36 rear!
i ran a 20/32 and 11-36 rear last year :mrgreen: