Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Torino nice who's doing it this yr

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, it's a fair point. Far less likely to get noticed that way.
motty

Post by motty »

Looking forward to my first Torino - Nice Rally! :grin:

I was thinking of arriving (very) early and doing a loop taking in the gravel roads around Thuile/Mont Cenis and doing colle sommelier and Monte Jafferau before getting the train back from bardonnecchia. I was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to get over from colle nivolet to valsavaranche (internet research suggests about 2km downhill hiking but doable) and also if anyone has done any off road climbs around thuile/mont cenis/bardonnecchia and if they have any tips for the area.

Oh yes, and anyone is welcome to join me :smile: friend who I was going with has already bailed on me!
sero

Post by sero »

jameso- i hear (lfgss) there is a facebook group/page for 2018? is it active at all? is it possible to be added to it?

cheers
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sero, yes, just PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite links, it should all be working now.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just a reminder that the Col de Finestre is on the telly this Friday as the Giro takes on the gravel. It's the "Queen stage" that has the Cima Coppi prize as the highest point of this year's event at 2,170m. Here's hoping Simon Yates is still in Pink, he's due a big win. Guessing they'll get up a bit quicker than us fully laden types in September :o
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Does anybody know if Cafe du Cycliste will be cool with people who are flying in & out of Nice to leave bike bags with them?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

ZDB we're staying at a campsite 10 mins from the airport, Mrs PB is there for a week. You can leave your box under our camper van and we can go to Turin together on the train if you want, campsite is 2 mins from train station.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just come back from a spin around the local hills on the gravel bike, musing about the tools I need to do a Froome on the Colle delle Fenestre.
Black carbon bike:Check.
Oval chainrings: Check
White shoes: Check
Enough ballast to average 54kmh on the way down: Check
Asthma inhaler for the climb: Check
Can't think of anything else I'll need so should be climbing like a rat up a drainpipe :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

should be climbing like a rat up a drainpipe
Only the minor issue of the Colombardo before it to contend with then : ) Next year Giro organisers, next year ...
Does anybody know if Cafe du Cycliste will be cool with people who are flying in & out of Nice to leave bike bags with them?
If anyone does ask Cafe du Cycliste about bag storage and is thinking of tips or bribery, Ali there is partial to a good Belgian beer.
jameso

Post by jameso »

motty wrote:Looking forward to my first Torino - Nice Rally! :grin:

I was thinking of arriving (very) early and doing a loop taking in the gravel roads around Thuile/Mont Cenis and doing colle sommelier and Monte Jafferau before getting the train back from bardonnecchia. I was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to get over from colle nivolet to valsavaranche (internet research suggests about 2km downhill hiking but doable) and also if anyone has done any off road climbs around thuile/mont cenis/bardonnecchia and if they have any tips for the area.

Oh yes, and anyone is welcome to join me :smile: friend who I was going with has already bailed on me!
This sounds like a winner of a plan. I've been looking up a few links in that area, Sommeiler towards Mont Cenis mainly. Hiking trails there are unlikely to be gravel bike friendly but it'll be a nice enough walk. Interested to hear how you get on and happy to compare notes or share some links I have, just short GPS files that look realistic (but will include hike a bike).

I looked at this whole area in detail for the ride that became the rally route and there just isn't that continuity of road and 4x4 track, you'll be on some pretty wild MTB or hike a bike terrain in a fair few places so I stayed a bit further SE where there aren't as many barriers formed by the long chains of peaks.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Oh for an irony emogee.
I did offer to bring some bike boxes, particularly for those flying into Turin and out of Nice but, within reason I'll also store peoples boxes as the camper won't be going anywhere while I'm grovelling in the Alps, also partial to beer or wine. Our campsite is 8km from Nice airport in Villeneuve Loubet Plage
James, could you accept Mrs PB on facebook as she's in charge of social media in chez Mellor? Ta.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ ha, don't worry, I knew what you meant : )

FB, will do now.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Scaremongering part 1.

There are a few posts on here about discreet biving.

This year I have spent a week (combined) in the Tende & Roya Valley. Mostly road riding and hill running.

For the last couple of years there has been a very big army presence who patrol the entry points and surounding hills for immigrants coming across from Italy. French Army not Italian.
The Army patrol the hills with night vision equipment.
There are also police check points on the roads. They only search cars for immigrants, no ID checks.
I have seen the Army patrolling at night. It is easy, they race around in Landrovers.
I have also had a chat with the police. They say on average, 80 immigrants are turned back each night. A bit hard to believe.

Not an issue for bikepackers camping out. BUT the area has a high risk for forest fires. They take it very seriously. If you are caught with a fire, even a stove............... you will be shot.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

If the stove is lit.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

pistonbroke wrote:ZDB we're staying at a campsite 10 mins from the airport, Mrs PB is there for a week. You can leave your box under our camper van and we can go to Turin together on the train if you want, campsite is 2 mins from train station.
That sounds great, just want to make sure our expectations on travel timings are 'aligned'. I will be flying EJ to Nice from Brizol, and trying to work out the best flight option. Most favoured flights arrive Nice at 1010 on Sun 2nd Sept. Going back I'd like to get the 2045 flight on Sat 8th, but that might be a bit tight; 1625 departure on Sun 9th might be more sensible. Prices are a bit grim already, so probably need to book soonish.

What's your thinking?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

ZDB, from memory the train to Turin takes about 7 hours with a couple of changes and leaves about 8.30am on the Sunday. There's 2 options a scenic route via Cuneo and one that skirts round the mountains via Ventamiglia. Obviously your flight gets in too late for these, I'd be thinking of late Saturday to get to Nice. We're driving from Cataluna and aim to be there Saturday morning, we've booked for 7 nights but could add to this depending on how quickly I get there. I'm booked in at the Tomato hostal in Turin on the 2nd ready for the off on Monday morning. That's all I've fixed so far, if it was me, I'd get a flight Saturday, train or taxi to the campsite then build the bike and be off first thing Sunday.
jameso

Post by jameso »

BUT the area has a high risk for forest fires. They take it very seriously. If you are caught with a fire, even a stove............... you will be shot.
Rightly so :grin: It would be a stupid place to light a camp fire. Here's the hillside above Bussoleno (near the Finestre) last summer:

The terms of entry for this and future rallies include a clear statement on why fires are ruled out. Thanks for the update on the Roya area. We saw the police presence there when we spent a few days in the Roya valley after the ride. The route goes into the hills on the west side of the valley rather than the east side that they're more likely to be focused on, but even so, a useful thing to know to keep everyone well behaved...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

ZDB seems I'm talking rubbish as usual. The scenic train via Tende leaves at 9.00am but there's trains all day via Ventamiglia, if you get into Nice at 10am, 10min taxi to drop your bag and build bike, it should be possible to get to Nice Ville station for 12 or 12.30 which picks up a train that gets into Turin at about 6pm. Cost is about €30.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Following much digging on the SNCF website, I've decided on the following plan. Leave Villeneuve Loubet Plage station at 11.42 train goes straight through Nice to Ventamiglia where I change for Turin. Arrive in Turin at 17.35 which leaves a couple of hours sightseeing around the locations of my all time favourite film, The Italian Job. Try riding along the many piazzas knicking food off dining locals (see the film) Adjourn to the hostal and meet the rest for pizza and tan line comparison. Start on Monday morning and ride back to Nice, simples.
ZDB, if this leaves you too tight for time with a 10am flight arrival, the bag storage offer still stands and you could get a later train.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

piston broke - could I beg a space to shove my bikebag under your van, too?

ZBD - I may be in touch re: travel plans, seeing as we'll both be flying from bristol! Watching the HT550 dots has got me excited for this!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No problem ian, are you taking the train to Turin?
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Pistonbroke - thanks! That's great.

My plans are currently pretty......fluid! I've only just confirmed that I'm in so nothing concrete. But plane to Nice, drop bag, train to Turin sounds like a good plan. So, yes, I'm taking the train :lol:

I'll have a look at flights this week. Most likely a similar/same one to ZBD as we're both SW based.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ianpv wrote:ZBD - I may be in touch re: travel plans, seeing as we'll both be flying from bristol! Watching the HT550 dots has got me excited for this!
Also been watching the dots, wondering what adventures each one is having... Currently watching Josh Ibbet & GCN riding through Morroco; feeling fair chuffed for this trip too, on my new grrrrravel bike! Let me know your thoughts on travel options.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Anyone know the best logistics for flights/train for this from Scotland or the north of England?
Cheers
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Email on Saturday which requires a nominal fee to be sent to James via Paypal, trouble is I don't do Paypal due to an irrational security fear so have offered to transfer from my bank. I think James is away atm but have mailed him, anyone else have a similar issue or am I the last luddite on the planet?